This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road
Default Window Switches

I decided this week to dive into my window switches, since the windows have been stuck in the up (or almost up) position for the 10 years that I've had it.

I had pulled the switch panel a couple of years ago, and unplugged the switches but didn't do anything. Today when I pulled it out to get started, I found that I've got a puzzle on my hands. The position of the switches does not match the pictures in the switch cleaning page. Uh oh.

Also, my grandfather had the same guy who made a mess of my decklid hydraulic cylinders work on the windows. I found only one clip remaining and the switches held in place with masking tape. There's also this mystery jumper wire between the RH & LH banks of switches.

Here are my switches (top I believe is to the front of the car) and the pic from the cleaning page:

As you can see, the switches with 4 connectors are in opposite corners in his, on the same side in mine.

Between his ineptitude and my folly in leaving these unplugged and unmarked so long, I'm not sure what goes where. Are all the switches the same? If not, which one goes where? Are the clips available or does anyone have any extra? Since I foolishly unplugged them and did not note which plug was which, can someone help me with which plug belongs in the console to which switch.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You need to remove two of the switches and turn them around to match the picture. As far as the wires you will see that two plugs have four wires and two have three. The four wire plugs go to the switches that have the terminal in the middle. Here's a link to the wiring diagram.

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/wiring/...WD-418_jpg.jpg
Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Super-Experienced

I saw that and I found the wiring diagram in the service manual. Are all of the switches the same? They look the same, but they have different P/N suffixes (2 As and 2 Bs) and the parts catalogs seem to show different switches for LF/RR and RF/LR.

I'm supposed to drive the car in the homecoming parade on Friday and had hoped I'd get the windows in order. Doesn't look like I'm going to make it.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:35 PM

I'm not sure why the two part numbers. When you remove the center post they are the same. Maybe one comes with the post and one without. I've always mixed and matched the switches and they still work. The switches are the easy part of the job. It's the motors that are the real headache.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Super-Experienced

You know, I bet it has to do with how the rocker is assembled. That would explain why the LF/RR and RF/LR are the same.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 PM

According to my info the 14529-A fits LF and RR. I'm not sure what the difference is since the rocker can be removed and turned around. I have a couple extras laying around. I'll have to check them.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

The last digit in Ford part numbers is simply a revision number. I'm sure the '58 and '59 switches are identical except one is white and the other is black. I know you are concerned over the 'A' and 'B' digit. I don't think it matters.

I think it's important to understand how they work. The center strap is +12 power, so two switches (on each side) are jumpered together. The jumper screw energizes the toggle paddle with +12.

When you toggle a switch, it turns on both the Field and Armature power to the motor.

Ford window motors have two fields (to switch direction) but only one armature (notice, each switch has two Armature contacts jumpered from the outside). That means the switch only needs three connections; (2)for Fields & (1)for Arm (plus the middle power).

So for example, pushing the toggle up will connect the UP Field and the Armature contacts.
Pushing the toggle down will connect the DOWN Field and the same Armature contacts.

The contacts would be hardier if they were made of silver, but I think they are copper rivets.

Switch position is easy to figure out, just look at the connectors. From everything I see, all switches are interchangable. Just get the power lug right. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

My switch block also had some tape wrapped around it when I got my car....clips missing.

You can get more clips from the t-bird parts companies.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Super-Experienced

I think the separate P/Ns are for dealer inventory. The dealer wouldn't want o have to assemble them based on need nor would they want to flip the actuators based on need.

Here's a question - If I want to try to get my windows down for this Friday, I could jumper from the +12 volt in the center to the Armature and down connectors and, assuming there are no other issues with the system, the window would go down. Right?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM

That's correct. You need power to the armature and up or down to make them work.