This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:39 AM

Brad R is on a distinguished road
Default edelbrock 390

Hi there
I have a 64 T Bird 390 running the standard cast intake with standard carby.
Locally there is an Edelbrock 390 Streetmaster 3744463 available.
I have searched everywhere and cannot reassure myself that it will fit and if the benefits will be worth the installation.
Thoughts?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Are you sure this isn't a patent number? (Sounds like something for a small block chevy, but I'm not sure.)

Regardless. I know you have to jump when opportunity knocks.

Have you thought about aluminum heads? That's where you get the most advantage and bang for your buck. With aluminum heads, you can safely raise your compression ratio and gain lots of HP because the aluminum transfers heat so much faster than cast iron. There's also a huge weight advantage. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 PM

Default Intake

I'm in Australia so the Thunderbird market is extremely limited. No direct import of T Birds in the day means no second hand parts and postage out of the US is extremely high.
I like the idea of the alloy intake to give the old girl a weight loss programme on the front end.
The alloy heads are something else to look for over the years.
My issue with the edelbrock intake is more about what mods i would need to make to fit the streetmaster.
Any help appreciated.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Slow Typist

Edelbrock makes quality intake manifolds for your FE engine. The aluminum Performer RPM model currently in production is:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...f_rpm-bb.shtml

If you need information on any of their products contact the company via their web site. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-04-2011, 02:41 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad R View Post
I'm in Australia so the Thunderbird market is extremely limited. No direct import of T Birds in the day means no second hand parts and postage out of the US is extremely high.
I like the idea of the alloy intake to give the old girl a weight loss programme on the front end.
The alloy heads are something else to look for over the years.
My issue with the edelbrock intake is more about what mods i would need to make to fit the streetmaster.
Any help appreciated.
It will physically bolt on and will improve the engines performance and is obviously about 15kg lighter!

The big issue is how high the carb sits - T-birds don't have much hood-to-carb clearance with a factory manifold so that is the one crucial factor to consider.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad R View Post
...I have searched everywhere and cannot reassure myself that it will fit...
Scumdog, are you sure this manifold is for the 390, and will it fit?

--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Scumdog, are you sure this manifold is for the 390, and will it fit?
Yep, Edelbrock made the Streetmaster for a variety of motors including the Ford FE series, but I'm not sure if they still do - I guess I could look them up.

But anyway, as I said it will physically bolt onto the Thunderbird motor however as we all know the carb on those cars is right up under the hood - and the motor sits almost 'nose-down' compared to most other cars so the Edelbrock MAY cause the carb to be too high for the hood to be shut once the air-filter is back on.

Having said that, the Streetmaster series was not a 'race' type manifold (probably good from idle-to-4,000rpm or so) hence it might not be as hi-rise as some other aftermarket manifolds...
Old 09-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

That must be an older model. Can't find streetmaster in their catalog.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:00 AM

Default Edelbrock issue

Thanks guys
I guess the height of the carby will be the issue. I'll get onto Edelbrock one night. Have to ring because I can't find a email address for them. Bugger!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default edelbrock 390

Hi Brad,

I did some research through the literature of my Edelbrock 1406 Carb and their website. The only email address I could find was listed on the Edelbrock Performer Series Carburetors Installation Instructions. The email address listed is: Edelbrock@Edelbrock.com Try that with a Subject line directing it to the appropriate division you wish to contact. Hopefully, they will get it and that will save you a phone call. Their Technical Hotline is 800-416-8628. I hope this helps you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm