This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool Fuel smell in Garage

I have a buddy that has just taken receipt of a yellow / white 56 babybird last week. Now it has been restored and looks like a beauty but something wierd has surfaced!!!While storing in his garage he can smell fuel and checked the " vented " gas cap?? Okay you babybird experts anyone had this " vented " gas cap before AND any suggestions as to why the smell???
58HT #33317
Old 11-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Is the smell really coming from the fuel tank area? If so, I believe the Baby Birds had a real vent in the fuel tank with a tube running around the trunk. The cap should be NON-vented. This car had a full size frame akin with Fairlanes.

So... check for leaks in the tank, around the neck, vent, and rubber coupling. Check the fuel lines along the frame.

Don't forget the short rubber hose going from the frame to the fuel pump. Rubber tends to crack, break, and leak.

A small leak may go undetected. If you smell heavy gas, you have quite a large leak. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Another thought is that since they do not have a PCV setup installed stock that can cause odors from the road draft tube that could be mistaken for gas. (also oil droppings)

That is a fairly common happenstance with the 4000 series Holley 4v. Sometimes they just smell - especially when they have sat for a while.

PS Post some pics.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

I haven't had a 56 for many years but for some reason I'm thinking the cap is vented. There may be a difference among the 3 years but I'm almost positive my 57 is vented. Can't check because I'm away from home, but a search in the supplier catalogs may state the cap as originally being vented or non-vented.

All the rubber hoses and all fittings should be checked, and the road draft or down draft tube is a source for odors as well. Unless the car is shown I would recommend a PCV conversion to eliminate a source of odors and drips. This should be easy enough to track down.

Snowbird Joe
Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I took Joe Johnston's suggestion and looked it up in the Ford books.

The only caps that were NON-vented were 1953-'59 Full Size Ford cars, except Sedan Delivery, Station Wagon, Retractables, and Rancheros. This catalog only goes to 1959 so the '60 Squarebird will comply with the '59.

Remember, the "S" designation represents Thunderbird models.

The second and last two entries, cover 'LOCKING' gas caps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FuelTankCaps.jpg (69.5 KB, 64 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Apprentice

paul274854 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Leavens View Post
I have a buddy that has just taken receipt of a yellow / white 56 babybird last week. Now it has been restored and looks like a beauty but something wierd has surfaced!!!While storing in his garage he can smell fuel and checked the " vented " gas cap?? Okay you babybird experts anyone had this " vented " gas cap before AND any suggestions as to why the smell???

If I remember correctly, the 55's and 56's used a vented cap. 57 used a non-vented cap with a separate vent. My 56 has a vented cap. I have had the tank out twice and there is no separate vent. The TBird parts suppliers sell vented caps for all years.

Check all fittings. Check the carb area, fuel pump (they can seep some gas while still functioning correctly) all lines/fittings, the gasket around the sending unit in the tank. Also check the drain plug - it may have a small leak that doesn't drip but seeps just enough to give out a gas odor.

Last edited by paul274854 : 11-25-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Thanks to all and I will pass your comments along to him and also get him to jump on this site?? Being a baby boomer he states that he doesn't know how to work a computer Wait a minute, I am a baby boomer
58HT #33317
Old 11-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

I had a strong smell of fuel in my garage and it turned out to be a hole in the carby float, which leaked fuel down the cacrby, filled up the sump etc etc

Pain in the rear, but easily fixed in the end.