This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:48 PM
KULTULZ

Default RE: Dang it, I hate working this hard! There appear to

>Not really of much interest to me in the context of this
>thread.

:o

Thanks for the research regardless...

> I am not quite sure what you mean by this:

>"The B7A 9328-A Check Valve was inline and had to be used
>with the base 312 if it is showing in the LINC-MERC MPC
>(have no idea why it is listed under LINC also)."

>This part is the only check valve shown for
>1958 Lincoln's and 1958 Mercury's. I do not remember it on
>my 57 Tbird but I have to question whether or not it really
>is an inline valve. It is very possible that it was
>originally threaded and changed at some point but the 1958
>books (printed in 1957) list this as the correct part for
>these cars with 430 Lincoln/Mercury, 383 Mercury, and 312
>Ford engines. Hawkrod

B7A was 1957 FORD. An oil pump attached vacuum pump was not used until 1958 and only on certain MEL applications. A previous discussion brought this to the boards' attention. This valve had to be inline somewheres within the vacuum line from the two stage pump to the wiper motor (312 base engine).

Not all 1958 LINC-MERC had the vacuum pump as some were assembled with electric wipers. But, they had vacuum servos to operate heat-A/C. Maybe the check valve was used here in some capacity on the manifold vacuum signal?

What does your ILL Section show?

Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

I realize now you are making an assumption. Just because a car used a part or a part was designed for a specific car does not mean that was all it was used for. Yes, the valve has a 57 part number but that does not stop it from being used on a 58 on a different engine size or for a different purpose. The best example of this that I can give would be B7A-12106-A distributor caps that were used until about 1976 or so. Trust me when I tell you that a 460 was not yet thought of in 1957 but the distributor cap is still the same! The valve may have been designed for a 57 Ford for one application but also used for something else on a 58 Lincoln. We know that a 57 312 did not have an oil pump driven vacuum pump but we also know that the B7A valve was used for that application on a 58 Lincoln. The 58 illustration does show the valve as being threaded. Note that this valve was only used on 1957 312's with superchargers and not on regular 312's. The 312 had this valve screwed into the back of the intake manifold before the booster pump. It is just a check valve for vacuum and would be equally at home on an oil pump driven vacuum pump as it would be on a manifold vacuum operated system. BTW, you really made me dig for this one! I knew I did not remember that valve on my Tbird! Hawkrod

[img src="http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/439590/fullsize/dsc00189.jpg"]
Old 10-03-2006, 06:57 PM
KULTULZ

>I realize now you are making an assumption. Just because a
>car used a part or a part was designed for a specific car
>does not mean that was all it was used for.

OK....Thanks for researching that out. I do not have the early MPC's to go as far as you can. A member here called a vendor and it was stated the B7A was used only on the F-CODE 57 (even though catalog listing included 1958). I had no idea a valve as such was used. I assumed it had to be an inline to work with the tubing on the two-stage pump. I was wrong. The 58 valve may be able to be used for later applications also. Did text give you thread sizes?

>Yes, the valve
>has a 57 part number but that does not stop it from being
>used on a 58 on a different engine size or for a different
>purpose. The best example of this that I can give would be
>B7A-12106-A distributor caps that were used until about 1976
>or so.

Hawkrod,

I worked parts in dealerships for I don't know how many years. I am fully aware of how the system works.

Service replacement for B7A 12106-A was D5AZ 12106-A. I can remember that one off the top of my head.
;)
Old 10-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

I have over 200 Ford parts books so it may take a while to find the right one but I have it! I am confused where you say "the 58 valve". the 58 used the 57 valve and then in 59 they came out with a new one. The B7A valve did not go obsolete until late 69 and there was no replacement which usually means no demand on a part like that. The B9S valve was available even longer! It is amazing how some of this stuff was out there until we needed it. While you and I are the primary conversationalists, I oversimplified my explanation because I wanted to be sure everyone who may read it would clearly understand. No offense intended to you. Hawkrod
Old 10-04-2006, 09:44 AM
KULTULZ

Default Unconfusing The Confusion

>I have over 200 Ford parts books so it may take a while to
>find the right one but I have it!

>I am confused where you
>say "the 58 valve". the 58 used the 57 valve and then in 59
>they came out with a new one.

What I meant to say (or convey) was the B7A 9328-A was unique to the 1958 MEL production run (discounting its' origional use on the 57 F-CODE), and then was redesigned (for whatever reason) for the 59 and 60 run.

The below from your research;

B7A-9328-A Valve (vacuum pump check) 1958 Lincoln Mercury

B9S-9328-A Valve (vacuum pump check) 1959/1960 Lincoln
Mercury Thunderbird

372268-S elbow 58/59 Mercury exc. 2 door and 4 door sedan
58/59/60 Lincoln.

(The above 372268-S application call-out) means to me the only applications where the elbow fitting was used (unless there is more information in deleted text).

>While you and I are
>the primary conversationalists, I oversimplified my
>explanation because I wanted to be sure everyone who may
>read it would clearly understand. No offense intended to
>you. Hawkrod

No offense taken sir, and I meant no disrespect to your knowledge either. It is just important (to me) that this (forgotten information) be reintroduced in a clear and factual manner.

(FYI- Unless this was going to be one heck of a dedicated restoration, I would substitute electric ;) )

BTW- A previous poster entered that he had found a B7A 9328-A and cataloging called for 1958 application. I challenged him and he recontacted the vendor and I assume the vendor then researched it and found its' origional application for the F-CODE. I apologize as I was misinformed. Your research (thank you) has cleared this matter up.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

This thread has been dorment for over a year and the links are not found. Does anyone have the specs and dimensions and/or photos of the vacuum tubing that runs along the base of the engine block from the vacuum switch the the back of the motor? Better yet, is there a extra one --with mounting clip-- out there that's available? Have already located a new switch. My car is missing all of this, there's a pipe plug in the block, the tube is gone and the rubber vacuum line is sitting on the bellhousing. Would like to have all the pieces even if it's not functional, haven't seen inside the oil pan to know what's present or missing.

Ken