This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default More frustrating than working on the quarter windows of a Squarebird?

Is there anything more frustrating than working on the quarter windows of a Squarebird? I don't think so. The design of those quarter windows is simply diabolical. They never really work right. The channel in the quarter window gets bowed, because it is just pot metal. Worst of all, there is no access. I rarely touch my rear windows on my car, because I know they are so problematic.

When I had my control arms put in, someone must have touch the left rear button. The window got jammed in the halfway down position. I open, the panel and found that eh roller were missing/broken and the small rear track was mission. Luckily I had a spare.

I could not remove the quarter window so I could unbow it. I don't know how I did it in the past. I did install mew rollers and the missing channel, so it now works.

It would have been so nice if they had an access panel for that mechanism. I wonder how they installed that mechanism in the factory. I know many new cars such as Lincoln Town cars have the motor/regulator put in before the door is stamped. The bodies of the Squarebirds were put together by Budd and sent to Wixom. I don't think the regulator was put in then.

Anybody else have experience with there quarter windows and can offer advice?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Webmaster

I noticed when putting in the rear channel for the quarter window that is am asymmetrical design. I looked in the Ford parts book and there there is only one part number. Two are required per car.

I wonder maybe that this is one of the reasons the quarter windows are trouble prone.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

You're right, it looks like there should have been a left and right hand part number.

When I first bought my bird, I needed to install the windlace. Naturally, for the rear, I had to remove the rear arm rest and side panel. So, while I was at it, I adjusted the rear window stops to align the rubber seal on the egde of the quarter window.

Up and down many times went the window while I adjusted the stops to get it just right. I didn't have a shop manual at the time, and just winged it.

Now that I know better, the rear windows stay up.

Ignorance is Bliss.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Experienced

peeeot

I've spent hours messing with my rear quarters. The splash shields were missing on my car, so I had to fabricate new ones and seal them. While I was in there, I lubricated the window tracks and tried to adjust the whole mechanism as well as possible. It lines up perfectly on the passenger side, but is only passable on the driver side. I even tried adjusting the door on its hinges to help the situation, but that is another headache all on its own.

I don't have the window crank handles installed for the rear windows. The only advice I can give is to come with patience
Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

I hear you guys, on the rear quarters keep them up. Last year my wife had her side down and thought she had put the rear quarter up all the way. In their wisdom, Ford engineers, the rear quarters just B4 fully closing, go off vertical just a touch B4 sealing shut. She closed the passenger door not knowing this and bam the passenger window cracked from impact. She felt bad but had no idea the rear quarter was not fully closed.
I had to get a new one from the TBird Nest $100.00 and have it swapped out for the old one. I agree do not open.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Old 10-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Webmaster

Yes, you see a lot of Squarebirds with broken door glass because when the mechanism of the quarter window gets won and deformed, it overrides to far to the front. Windows overlap - instant broken door glass.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:03 AM
Experienced

FeFranco

I am, believe it or not, still trying to install my door windows (3+ weeks). For some reason the rear of the window tilts 1" higher than the front, on my drivers side door, when its all the way up and I don't know why. I took out the window and regulator yesterday and plan on starting all over tomorrow. I also need to adjust the rears when I am done with the doors. I finally got a call today from Tbird headquarters that my power window motor is in after I burnt it out when I was trying to install the passenger side window. I am losing my patience and wasting a lot of time on this thankless effort.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:16 AM
Webmaster

Do you have have the two rubber coated stops for the window?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

You mean this job is going to be more frustrating than the suspension rebuild? Yikes.

I'm starting to be thankful that my power windows don't work. That's next year's project, to get those working.

Unfortunately, those of us with convertibles can't really leave the quarters up. Looks kinda dorky.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeFranco View Post
I am, believe it or not, still trying to install my door windows (3+ weeks). For some reason the rear of the window tilts 1" higher than the front, on my drivers side door, when its all the way up and I don't know why. I took out the window and regulator yesterday and plan on starting all over tomorrow. I also need to adjust the rears when I am done with the doors. I finally got a call today from Tbird headquarters that my power window motor is in after I burnt it out when I was trying to install the passenger side window. I am losing my patience and wasting a lot of time on this thankless effort.
So I take it the guy that rebuilt my motors for me was a bust eh?