This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:51 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road
Default Generator lamp "sometimes" comes to live...

Is there anyone who knows what might be my problem regarding the generator lamp. If I just go out driving, and do it for an hour or so, there is no problem. But as soon as I have been in slow traffic or in a queue, and the temp goes up a bit, the lamp lids up. If I then accelerate again, it goes away but as soon as I let the trottle off, it turns on again. The generator is overhauled with new brushes and I have a new relay.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 08-23-2011, 02:52 AM
Experienced

1960_430_AU is on a distinguished road

Are you running electric cooling fans?
What else electrical is on?
I had a similar problem when I had my fans on all the time, once I put a relay it fixed the problem but I do get a faint glow when they kick in.
I'd check the battery voltage with a meter when it happens

Richard
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 AM

No, i don't have a electric fan, or other electric things goong on, as far as i know, except lights.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

Believe it or not the owners manual says that's normal when you stop at a light. I know i don't like it. going to go alt. one day
Old 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Is there anyone who knows what might be my problem regarding the generator lamp. If I just go out driving, and do it for an hour or so, there is no problem. But as soon as I have been in slow traffic or in a queue, and the temp goes up a bit, the lamp lids up. If I then accelerate again, it goes away but as soon as I let the trottle off, it turns on again. The generator is overhauled with new brushes and I have a new relay.
Hi Anders - My '60 does the same thing at times. I notice that is seems to be more frequent just after I come to a sudden stop - - like if a traffic light unexpectedly turns red. Also seems to happen more when she has been running for a while. I'll often shift into Neutral at a stop light and the higher RPMs make the flicker go away. Otherwise, I just try to ignore it.
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 PM

Great support guys! Im less nervous from now on!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds8 View Post
Believe it or not the owners manual says that's normal when you stop at a light. I know i don't like it. going to go alt. one day
Where is the LIKE button! I changed mine to a Alternator and that light coming on like that stopped!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 08-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

That'll stop when i get done the other 3 cars I'm on. I'm getin ready to ask Mr obama for a loan lol.................
Old 08-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Here's the deal: Your GEN light is powered on BOTH ends and the dash bulb socket IS NOT grounded.

So... What does the light really do and what does it indicate?

The lamp is fed from the key switch and it goes to the Armature post of your Regulator. The light bulb current 'tickles' the generator armature and makes sure the generator starts producing Neg Gnd, before the engine moves.

That light compares battery voltage (from the key sw) to the generator output voltage. If the battery has more voltage than the generator output, the light shines.

Here are some reasons for the light to shine:
The key is on but the engine isn't moving (yet).
You threw a belt.
The battery is completely charged, but the Generator is moving slow and producing less voltage than the battery has.

Do not get stuck with a burned out GEN light bulb or your Generator may not charge. That light is very important. I love to see it 'on' when I turn the key, then go off when the engine starts. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road

I know for sure that it is a typical generator behavior for the reasons Dave stated. Alternators usually do not have this behavior because they are working different. If this happens with an alternator then you have problem of a shot diode or something.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741