This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:16 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default Window Felt Question

hi!
I have a '58 Hardtop. I am in the process of replacing the felt unit on the outside of the driver's door that the window rides against. The original one rusted to death and fell off.

The piece I bought (in a kit for the whole car) is the width of the driver's door: a long , straight section which goes against the main window and then a short, curved section which goes in between the door and the body of the vent window structure.

The piece is an assembly of three components: stainless backing, rubber and finally the felt.

Having gotten things apart and eyeballed installing it, it appears I need to remove the felt on the front portion that rides against the vent window frame. First there is not enough room to get it in with it attached, and secondly, it would seem to serve no purpose.

Before taking the Xacto knife to it, I am wondering if anyone can verify the lack of felt on the curved section.

Thanks for your time!

John
Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I just installed mine without any "trimming" of any sort.

I did have to drill some new holes in the pieces, since the holes in the new trim pieces didnt line up with the original holes in my door metal.

I installed the pieces with pop rivets.

All bets are off if you are doing some sort of fancy concours restoration work! I'm just a shade-tree hacker!

Last edited by Dakota Boy : 08-21-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

here's a pic:

I seem to recall the originals having the felt all "packed down" behind the vent window frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03266.jpg (411.6 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Dakota Boy : 08-21-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You have to remember that the belt molding was installed at the factory before the vent window was put in. As you said you can either remove the felt or loosen the vent window which will give you more room. If you don't want to remove the door panel and dog leg trim I would just cut the felt.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 PM
John

I have used the vent window adjustment to allow me to
tilt it away from the door a bit. I can see sliding the rubber and metal in, but not the felt. I may trim it.

I got lucky on the kit I bought. The pieces have clips attached to them that are identical to the factory clips and line up perfectly with the holes in the door. No pop rivets needed.

Thanks for the info and also the photo!!

john

PS this is being done under the shade tree in my front yard
Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 PM

Where did you get them from. I need to order a set. The last ones I bought I had to drill holes and screw them in. I'm glad to see someone is making them correctly.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:51 PM
John

Still have the Invoice. They came from

Obsolete & Classic Auto Parts in Oklahoma City OK

www.classicautoparts.com

Part number: S21-41165-190 "Door Window & Qtr Felt".

Cost me $79 plus shipping a year ago (took me awhile to work up the courage to take the door apart). Has everything for all doors and windows.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:55 PM

Thanks. I'll make a note of it for when it's time to order.