This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Experienced

cubbear is on a distinguished road
Question roof rail weather strip

I am installing new weatherstrip and wondering if i have to drill my own holes to attach it or if th new has holes? also I ordered new bombsites for the front fenders and the rear stud has a shoulder on it so it won't fit through fender. I do not want to drill larger hole as it has new paint. thanks again Rob
Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road

Rob, I was going to reply with advise on roof rail, but then I re-read your msg and seems as tho you are asking about weather strip. The roof rail is stainless and pries off with a church key or antique bottle cap remover ( or some other specialized tool). When installing roof rail trim strips, they simply just snap back onto and/or over the rail itself. As for weatherstripping you must be asking about the stripping that is around the windows and doors. Honestly I don't recall if that stuff is hung/mounted with T-clips or if you just use plain old 3M weatherstrip/seal adhesive.

And with your front fender mounted gunsight ornaments, sounds like each ornament has two studs, one round and one square. So you've gotta get a square peg in a round hole. Use either a dremel tool or a die grinder with a diamond fine burr bit to make either the round hole larger or square, or make the square stud round. If you're gonna make the hole square or larger, slap a piece of duct tape over the hole so you won't scar the new paint finish up with the bit.
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652
Old 08-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Experienced

kevin_tbird is on a distinguished road

The weatherstrip is metal backed rubber that looks like a hockey stick. When I installed mine I used 3M black weatherstrip adhesive first and then attached it using #8 self tapping screws and a long screw driver bit in my power drill/screwdriver. The weatherstrip that I used had circular marks in the rubber that marked where the holes should be.

When you take of the old roof rail weatherstrip remember to save the small dog leg shaped seal at the front of the car on each side. It is cemented to the old weather stripping at the very front of the car.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Experienced

kevin_tbird is on a distinguished road

I checked screw sizes. #8 x 1/2" pan head self tapping stainless steel.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Tinkerer

c4clewis is on a distinguished road

Some of the holes in the weatherstrip didn't line up with the factory holes that were drilled. I just drilled through and then screwed it up. I tried just self-tapping screws without drilling, but ended up breaking 2 or 3 of them before I started drilling first.