This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:30 PM

BOOMERBIRD is on a distinguished road
Default Heater Core Replacement. Leaking All Over The Floor Board

Can Some One Please Tell Me How To Get To The Heater Core On A 1958 Thunderbird To Replace It The Right Way? I Really Do Not Want To Get Started The Wrong Way And Completely Mess Up Other Componetes And Add On Extra Hrs Of Work. Thank You Very Much.

Boomer
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Do a 'search' for 'heater core'. Many members have discussed this topic.

DKheld shared a good picture and he explains, the core comes out from inside the car:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
Pretty sure it is the same - might be a little more difficult to get to the bolts to remove the heater plenum.

The shop manual I have for the A/C refers you to the non A/C section for the heater core removal/repair. While installing A/C on my car I'm finding the A/C was basically just an add on to the outside firewall. The controls were a little different but the heater core and plenum should be the same. Taking off the blower and evap. box on the outside firewall doesn't remove the heater core only the evaporator for the A/C. The manual isn't very clear on how to replace the core but from the explanation it comes out from the INSIDE passenger compartment. If you have to remove the heater plenum (not sure if you do - maybe only the pass. vent section) to get the core out my guess is the console will have to come out and all the lower dash trim - maybe even the dash unless the defroster ducts just slip off the heater plenum (without coming apart).

In the pic below here's all you get if you remove the blower box on the outside. Both A/C and non A/C cars are the same in this area - the A/C cars just have another slot cut in the upper section of the firewall for the cool air - the heater core is on the inside of the firewall on both. This is a non A/C car but to add A/C you just install a different blower box and the evap. box - well plus a few thousand other things - but you get an idea of where the core is and that it doesn't appear to come out from under the hood.

Eric
registry 5347

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Here's a picture of your setup:
Attached Images
File Type: png SquarebirdHeater.PNG (94.6 KB, 115 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Experienced

60 T-Bird is on a distinguished road

It may not be the heater core. I just replaced the notoriously problematic control valve attached to the core with a remote one.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 08-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

You might even want to remove the passanger front seat for more work room, after all, we are only talking about 4 extra bolts.

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Apprentice

c4clewis is on a distinguished road

While you're at it, pull the front carpet and wash it thoroughly. Mine was ruined when my core leaked; it washed the color out of the front carpet after awhile.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

So, does anyone have some heater core disassembly pictures from the passenger side? I found that some were posted at one time, but they aren't valid picture links any more.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Hey Jim!

If you can give me the links that are not working, I might be able to fix those. If the pictures are not there, they might be in with all the stuff that Julie gave us off Alexander's PC last year. If that is the case, if I know what the links are, I should be able to upload the pix to the server and restore them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

President~ South Texas Thunderbird Club
yellowrose"at"squarebirds.org 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, they were photobucket links and not squarebirds links. We'd have to get the originals from the poster.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Jim, if you know who the poster was, please let me know and I will see if I can obtain the information and pictures from him.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

President~ South Texas Thunderbird Club
yellowrose"at"squarebirds.org 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm