This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:04 PM

Nakusp is on a distinguished road
Default Manifold Problem

Hi, I stared my '59 T-Bird today and while it turned over there was a very loud bang like a canon firing and when I popped the hood to take a look there was a good size hole in the manifold between cylinder 6 and 7 right below the carb.

How do I tell if this is the only damage and not anything else inside the motor like a bent rod or blown piston or anything on the valve train.

Also anyone running a aftermarket manifold that are great? I am in the market for a new one as of today
Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The first thing to do is take off the valve cover and check the push rods and valve springs. If they look good you can take out the spark plugs and look down the holes with a flashlight to see the pistons. I've never seen a backfire bad enough to blow the manifold but I guess it's possible. There may have been carbon built up that obstructed the passages. As far as replacement manifolds the new ones I've seen don't have the oil fill tube so you would have to get valve covers with a fill hole.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I agree with Jopizz. When you remove your intake manifold, the damage will become more visible.

The only cause for a hole (I've ever seen) was due to a hard mechanical failure. Be careful not to turn the starter until you see all the damage. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 AM
Experienced

redstangbob is on a distinguished road

How about a picture, this I gotta' see........
Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstangbob View Post
How about a picture, this I gotta' see........
I second that request - WOW - hate to hear it and hope you are able to fix it easily.

Next question is - what caused it? I'd kind of like to avoid that situation. Were you using starting fluid? Maybe fuel with a verrrrrry high ethanol content? Exhaust completely blocked?

Eric
registry 5347
Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Here is pic of the hole, hopefully it works. I am going to try to make time to remove it tonight and look for more damage. I hope this is all there is wrong with it.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...kemanifold.jpg
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Apprentice

REM is on a distinguished road

I think you will be ok with another manifold.
It looks like the casting was very thin there.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Slow Typist

I agree. It looks like other areas of your manifold are rusting through as well. See if you can find the metal piece that came out. If you don't see it right away, pull your intake manifold off and look down the intake ports in the heads with a light and a magnet.

Glad it wasn't more serious.

BTW, does anyone have a spare 4-bbl carb spacer for sale? I need one for a B7A-9425 B manifold (which is a std 4"x4"). - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 AM

I got the manifold off tonight and it all looks pretty good underneath. No bent push rods, all valve springs are there and appear to be in good shape. I am also able to turn the engine over with a wrench on the front crank bolt without it binding up on me. The oil looks very clean and no signs of any metal shrapnel floating around anywhere. I pulled the #1 plug and the piston is there from what I can see through the tiny hole. Anything else I should be looking for?

One thing I noticed that I was curious about is that there wasn't any water in the manifold itself. Obviously I drained the coolant when I removed the t-stat but shouldn't there have been some water remaining in it? There wasn't one drop of water in left in it. The car is sitting on level ground and I only rolled it a few feet in the driveway from where the proble happend.

Last edited by Nakusp : 08-09-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Slow Typist

My concern (as stated) is that missing cast piece. If it got sucked in to an intake chamber, use a strong light and a flexible magnet to find it. You sure don't want it going past an intake valve (those are the big ones).

Your intake manifold is dry.

--Lee Iacocca