This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Apprentice

Steffan is on a distinguished road
Default Engine surging

I just came back from a local car show and as I was cruising along about 55-60 mph it felt like the engine was surging. I have had the carb rebuilt and torn apart 3 times. As you drive along you can feel a slight surge, not a miss in the engine. As well it still has a hesitation when accelerating from a stop. The accelerator pump appears to be giving a good shot of fuel. As soon as you get over the hesitation the car runs up to 100 mph like a scared rabbit.

Another issue is the shift points. It shifts from low at about 30-35 mph and from second to drive at about 60-65 mph. This is under full throttle. I thought the shift points would be higher, maybe 45 mph from low to second and around 70-75 mph for second to drive.

I am thinking of changing to an after market carb, maybe the Edelbrock Street Avenger.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

Ttoo much timing/advacne might cause the surging. This happened on my own car.

Shift points on an automatic trans...... vacuum modulator. Pull off the vacuum line and if there is trans. fluid in the line, the modulator is junk.

Shift points can be adjusted a little bit by turning the tiny screw inside the modulator; accessed thru the hole where the vacuum line attaches. counterclockwise will make it shift earlier.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Squarebirds don't have a vacuum modulator. They began in '61.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Experienced

1960_430_AU is on a distinguished road

As far as engine timing goes get hold of a good quality vacuum guage and use the following web site, it will also give you an insite into other issues you may have

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

Richard
Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

Also check your vacuum advance unit to make sure it is working correctly, it would cause timing to be erratic. Also, distributor itself may be causing erratic timing issues.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 08-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Check timing chain slop:

Start at 6 BTDC. With a socket and long breaker bar, slowly crank your damper pulley back and forth while feeling the distributor rotor. Look at your timing marks and see how many degrees the crank turns before the distributor starts to move. 'Timing set slop' is where stop light hesitation and surging comes from.

If your engine is 'up in years' (like me), consider replacing your timing set.

I always urge folks to 'degree your cam/crank'. It doesn't take long, it requires no additional parts, and the degree wheel may be downloaded from the net. After finding 'true zero', advance your cam 4 to bring the torque curve closer to street efficiency (instead of Interstate Highway efficiency). - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Apprentice

Steffan is on a distinguished road

The engine has been completely rebuilt.
The timing has been set using a vacuum gauge to get maximum vacuum and then backing off a bit to allow for the advance. While under acceleration there is no hesitation or surge. The accelerator pump is giving a good shot of fuel.
There is a carb rebuilder about an hour away but I would hate to pay another 250.00 just to have the same problem. Also I have been looking into Pony Carbs on the Internet, anyone know if they are any good with their rebuilds?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffan View Post
The engine has been completely rebuilt.
The timing has been set using a vacuum gauge to get maximum vacuum and then backing off a bit to allow for the advance. While under acceleration there is no hesitation or surge. The accelerator pump is giving a good shot of fuel.
There is a carb rebuilder about an hour away but I would hate to pay another 250.00 just to have the same problem. Also I have been looking into Pony Carbs on the Internet, anyone know if they are any good with their rebuilds?
Have you checked out your fuel pump? Any chance it was caused by a vapour lock?
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Question

Have you checked your fuel filter and/or has the fuel tank "sock" been checked?

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffan View Post
...As soon as you get over the hesitation the car runs up to 100 mph like a scared rabbit...
This doesn't sound like fuel starvation.
What did you get when you rotated the crank?
If your engine is 'freshly overhauled', it shouldn't have ANY hesitation from a light.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca