This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.

Go Back   Squarebirds, Rocketbirds, and Fifties/Sixties Ford Discussion Forum > Ford Engines > FE Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM

BOOMERBIRD is on a distinguished road
Default pulling the 352 and replacing with a 351 w/ good idea or bad?

Question? has anyone replaced their 352 fe with a 351w with out any motor mount issues or any others like bolting up to the COM trany?

i have'nt researched this yet but someone had mentioned that i look at the 351 w because im looking for a good 390 fe crate or long block.

thanks

Boomer
Old 08-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The 351 is a completely different animal than the FE blocks (352/390). You will most likely have to modify the frame for the different mounts.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default pulling the 352 and replacing with a 351 w/ good idea or bad?

As I recall, the guys here have said that dropping in a 390 (and a C6 tranny if you want to replace the COM) is an easier way to go. If memory serves me right, the 390 drops right in without any cross bracing or motor mount problems. But these guys can tell you about this. My memory is getting a bit long in the tooth these days, and I have read soooo many threads and posts on this Forum that my head swims sometimes! lol..

Since you asked about the 390 in the FE Engine Forum, I am going to move this thread to that Forum, where it should be.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

President~ South Texas Thunderbird Club
yellowrose"at"squarebirds.org 210-674-5781

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 08-03-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Transmission repairmen who regularly worked on COM's (from the '60's) are long since retired and today's shops haven't seen a Cruise-O-Matic in many years. They are good transmissions, but harder to find parts for. Same story with FE engines but on a smaller scale.

Now, 351W and AOD transmissions are very available at a much lower price. This combination may be found in many bone yards across the country.

351W's share many 5.0L parts including pistons, rings, water pumps, starters, etc., and had been original equipment in full size Fords, Thunderbirds, Mustangs, and trucks. (Ford sells more trucks than cars.) Many millions of Ford vehicles were powered by this setup.

The 351W/AOD swap makes better sense and is cheaper than converting transmissions. 351's came in different versions; EFI, carbureted, and 351W's also came in a hydraulic roller-cam version which is perfectly suited for use with modern motor oil.

The Ford Lightning engine (EFI 351W/roller) is one of my favorite choices because much of it is aluminum, bearing sizes are much larger than 5.0L, and performance parts are everywhere. Expect over 400-hp, naturally aspirated, with a decent roller cam. Lower rear end gear ratios like 4:10 or 3.90:1 are perfect when coupled with an Automatic Over Drive tranny. So, street performance and Interstate Expressway travel are both well suited to this setup.

The 351W sits lower and is lighter than the FE's. Kits are available to raise Squarebird motor mounts for a bolt-on conversion. A front-sump oil pan (like trucks use) must be used for Squarebird #2 crossmembers.

I suggest you keep your FE/COM off to the side with the driveshaft, in case you ever decide to go back to it. But if you ride your Squarebird a lot, bolt in a 351W and AOD trans. You may need to buy a driveshaft, but they are not expensive and many shops re-tube driveshafts, 'to length'. - Dave Dare

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

I have to agree here. I had a 93 lightning, 1 bad truck with 4:10 gears and 351 with gt40 heads and AOD trans it FLEW and probobly was the same weight as our squarbirds. Now to find a AOD trans for my 70 couger with no computer hook ups would be nice. I could get off the 3200rpm at 65mph
Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds8 View Post
...Now to find a AOD trans for my 70 couger with no computer hook ups would be nice...
AOD's don't have computer hookups. AODE's do.
Here's an AOD for $500 on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-93...item1c1bcd6b5e

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 08-04-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: added eBay listing
Old 08-05-2011, 07:56 PM

Dream Weaver is on a distinguished road

If you do in fact replace your 352 what plans do you have for the motor?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:41 PM

BOOMERBIRD is on a distinguished road

The company that's building the 390 wants the 352 as a core but I plan on storing the motor so that I will have the original motor if ever needed. Are you looking for a 352 to rebuild?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Weaver View Post
If you do in fact replace your 352 what plans do you have for the motor?

Last edited by simplyconnected : 08-09-2011 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Fixed the quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Dream Weaver is on a distinguished road

I am in the process of restoring a 1060 but prior to me purchasing the car someone swapped motors. I have not pulled the heads off yet so I can measure the bore and stroke so I am not sure what I have. It does not have the yellow valve covers (they are blue) and it is a 2 barrel not a 4. Therefore, I am researching the cost difference in rebuilding mine vs purchasing one that runs and matches what the car had originally.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:28 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

There was a former member of N/Cal TBirds that had a 351C with an AOD. No THAT flew.

I don't know if a Winsor would have the Tq