This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:09 PM

BOOMERBIRD is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing the 352 fe with a 390 fe

Has anyone replaced their original 352 with a 390 and if so how did the R&R go and are you happy with the end product? im in the process of finding either a crate 390 or a long block and hope to get this done soon. im just so tired of replacing all the old parts on the 352 that has 81k miles on it. I would prefer to pull it and rebuild the 352 but its much more cash to do so.

any tricks learned would help.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Experienced

redstangbob is on a distinguished road

The 390 and 352 are both FE's so no problem with the fit. Depending on what year block the 390 is, you may have 4 motor mount bolts per side or only 2 like your 352 but no issues there either. You need to keep track of starter & flywheel, don't use a 65 and up starter with your old flywheel. If you upgrade to the newer style starter, use the new style flywheel and the engine plate. I'm sure I've left a bunch of things out, but the swap should go without problems. Good luck, Bob C
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 PM

nocontrol is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 390 swap

Just breaking in reworked 390 in my 58 and so far so good. I'm running dual quads on a ford intake so there was some linkage modification but every thing else bolted up. I'm using a toploader behind it for added excitement. There's no subsistute for cubes!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Experienced

FINSRIN is on a distinguished road

I agree with the replies. Am replacing early FE in 59 Galaxie with 66 Thunderbird 390. Sure you will like the results.
Bill
Old 08-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOMERBIRD View Post
Has anyone replaced their original 352 with a 390 and if so how did the R&R go and are you happy with the end product? im in the process of finding either a crate 390 or a long block and hope to get this done soon. im just so tired of replacing all the old parts on the 352 that has 81k miles on it. I would prefer to pull it and rebuild the 352 but its much more cash to do so.

any tricks learned would help.
I replaced the 352 with a 390 a while back, it went pretty easy for me. Granted I just pulled the whole thing and dropped in the complete 390 I bought off clist, the only thing I had to change was the starter to a newer design.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:10 AM

junker nutz is on a distinguished road

Speaking of starters, will a "new" starter with a exturnal bendix not the long one I just pulled off that goes in beyond the flywheel fit on the 352 fit. It was a pain in the *** getting that starter out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
I replaced the 352 with a 390 a while back, it went pretty easy for me. Granted I just pulled the whole thing and dropped in the complete 390 I bought off clist, the only thing I had to change was the starter to a newer design.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

No. The new style starter requires a different flywheel if that's what you're asking.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 PM

junker nutz is on a distinguished road

OK thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
No. The new style starter requires a different flywheel if that's what you're asking.

John