This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Default TOWBARS & Squashed Squarebirds

JohnG submitted an article that includes valuable information that came out of a very bad experience, towing a Squarebird:

CLICK HERE for the link. (It opens as a PDF file.)

PLEASE, anyone who may think about towing their Squarebird to or from a show, read this article.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Dave!! The file was too big (1.4 Mb) for me to post as an attachment.

Having read the article I am amazed that the fellow ever considered towing one Bird with another, regardless of his wife's limitations as a driver.

Many of us in the Squarebird forums have lamented the lack of braking power of a stock Squarebird. Putting another one behind it strikes me as ludicrous. This does not even get into the inherent instabilities in the setup that the author points out.

While he may be quick to put blame on his wife, as far as I am concerned, the whole thing never should have left the parking lot, no matter who was driving.

The incredible irony is then that not only were two GoldeTops in an accident but both managed to get upside down, thereby destroying that which made both cars extremely unique.

John
Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Ouch.

Searched the registry for "Nelson" guessing that the author was the same person mentioned in the article - only found 2 and one was in Australia - neither mentioned a sunroof. Wonder if they got restored or junked ?????

A couple of Squashed Squarebirds would be my definition of a very bad day............even if I did still have and Edsel and a Mustang.

Eric
Old 07-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
...The incredible irony is then that not only were two GoldeTops in an accident but both managed to get upside down, thereby destroying that which made both cars extremely unique...
When I read this alarming story, it made my skin crawl. Everyone should read it in hopes it could prevent history from repeating itself.
John, do you happen to have the original magazine? If so, I can make this PDF file look much clearer. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-19-2011, 07:02 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

hi Dave

Another car guy made the copy and (postal) mailed it to me. I then scanned it on, so you have two degradations in quality right there.

I will see if he will give up the original . . .

john
Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

I have that article John - may take me a day or four to locate it if you can't get it.

Eric
Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Experienced

Rockin Kev is on a distinguished road

There one thing you can see clearly from the photos, how flat the roof is...now i know that sounds a little stupid but the Golde sunroof butt welded frame helped keep the roof flat, it was the screen pillars that lost there strength.
Golde did claim years ago that there steel sliding roofs help keep the roof panel with more strength, would have been the same for the standard tudor hardtop with its central band.
Kev.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Experienced

Rockin Kev is on a distinguished road

Or would it have not?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Experienced

1960_430_AU is on a distinguished road

Not a ride anyone would want to experience

But it does pose a great argument for electric brakes on the trailer, I wouldn't tow without them. If the trailer starts to sway you can apply just the trailer brake and pull it out

Richard