This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:45 PM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 power steering problems - still

Fellow birders,

It's been about 3 months of parts, cussing, and money and my power steering system still aerates fluid and blows it out the bolt hole in the top of the reservoir lid.
I've posted about this before, but I have a little more information now that might help.

I have rebuilt or replaced every single stinkin' piece of the power steering system with the exception of the medallion on the steering wheel. I have installed rebuilt or new ram cylinder, pump, hoses, control valve - you name it. We have tried 4 different pumps in addition to rebuilding and re-sealing the original.

When the wheels are turned one direction and then straightened, it spurts out fluid through the bolt hole in the reservoir lid. It simply pressurizes all the fluid out at highway speeds or driving any distance greater than 5 miles.
Nothing seems to be able to prevent this. Nothing.

A team of 3 mechanics have fought this all summer and it still pressurizes and I lose most of my fluid in a short time. Can't drive the S.O.B.!!!

ANY help or advice would be appreciated. Is there any other set-up from other years or model that will bolt in place of this piece of garbage?

Otherwise, does anyone have a manual steering set-up I can buy?

There's 20 bucks in it for someone who can give me advice that will fix it - really!

Casey
'60 hardtop (make me an offer)x(
Old 09-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 1960 power steering problems - still

In over twenty years of owning Squarebirds, the power steering systems in my cars have always been trouble free.

I can't imagine that the system would work correctly if the hoses are not connected to the proper connections.

When you say you had the ram and the control valve rebuilt, did they rebuild your units or did you send them in as exchange?

If you are nearby, I would take a look at your system.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 09-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Super-Experienced

The Control valve was an exchange.
We rebuilt the ram cylinder and pump.
Then after many folks told me that the pump must be the problem, we exchanged it too (a couple of times).
My mechanics are just as stymied as you Alexander. They say in their 80+ years of cumulative experience they've never seen anything like it either.
What do you do when everything is new/fixed and it still doesn't work?

Can you drive these cars with the belt off? Will it tear up the mechanism or just make it hard to steer?

Casey
Old 09-19-2003, 07:21 PM
Webmaster

You will be able to drive the car with the belt off, but I do not think it will be good for the control valve long term.

When you say you rebuilt the ram, did you just replace the end seals or did you take apart the unit. I have replace the seals on my rams my self many times with no problem. If you took off the ram, I would check to see if the fittings ar not clogged. Check again with the shop manual that you connected the proper hoses in the proper way to the ram. If you do not have the diagram, I can post it.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 09-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Super-Experienced

we just replaced the end seals of the ram.
In fact, that's the latest suspect. The mechanic thinks it may be faulty since it's really the only thing that hasn't actually been replaced.
I have a shop manual and I've double-checked all the hoses and connections.
Might have to get a re-built ram.
The mechanic thinks he might have someone locally who has one we could at least try.

If we could narrow it down to one thing that's causing it, then we would at least know what to do.

I live in Oklahoma where it is either 110 degrees or 20 degrees. Of course, for the past 3 weeks it's been sunny and 73 - perfect cruising weather if a guy had a car!
Thank goodness for my '64 Galaxie convertible. It hasn't had to share time since the Bird has been undrivable but man I'd sure like to drive my squarebird!

Casey
'60 hardtop
Old 09-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Experienced

1960Bird is on a distinguished road

It almost sounds as if some of the power steering fluid might be by passing the piston in the steering cyl. I have no experience with anything like this on my car so it is just a guess. With all you have done I can't think of anything else. Good luck!

Steve Ronk
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1960 HT
Old 09-22-2003, 12:24 PM
Super-Experienced

I just talked to an older Ford mechanic this morning about this thing.
He said that the reservoir on my car was an older version and didn't have the horizontal deflector on the inside of the tank. He said it looked like the one in his 58 TBird shop manual. He went on to say that the top of the filter spring ought to have some sort of cupped washer or something that acts as the deflector on that particular reservoir. It keeps the fluid from being squirted ou the vent hole in the lid.

Does anyone have a '58 Bird they can look at for me and tell me what all is there at the spring between the bottom of the reservoir and the actual lid? The mechanic said there was a washer on top of the filter, then the spring, then the cupped deflector before the reservoir lid is installed.
If someone has the diagram from the '58 TBird shop manual, that would be appreciated too.

thanks!
Casey
'60 TBird
Old 09-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Webmaster

The resevoir in the 1958 to 1960 Thunderbirds had a filter in the resevior. The bottom of the resevior had a plate to put on the resevir. The lid had a spring retained plate that kept the fliter in place. Later resevoirs had a little metal deflector in the resevoir in front of the intake tube.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 09-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Super-Experienced

that may be the problem.
my lid doesn't have a plate for the top of the spring.
The spring sits on a plate on top of the filter, then the lid just sits on the spring (there is no plate between the spring and the lid). This is what the fella was talking about I think. He said that plate on top of the spring kept the fluid from spraying up to the bottom side of the lid. I looked at his '58 shop manual and it showed exactly the type of reservoir I have - no deflector on the side of the tank. It didn't show the spring or plate so I am still not sure what it should look like.

Hopefully, someone out there with a '58 can tell me.

thanks,
Casey
Old 09-22-2003, 05:24 PM
Webmaster

All three years 1958-60 are the same as far as the resevoir.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top