This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Experienced

kevin_tbird is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Crossmember mounting Help

This is embarrassing, but I cannot figure out how to mount the transmission cross-member to the body in my 60 with a 352 and cruise-o-matic.

I have the shop manual and diagram 6 on page 6-22 shows a two part bracket that mounts to the underbody on each side. I took this car apart over 10 years ago and cannot find any bracket.

However, even if I had the bracket I do not see any mounting holes at that location. Would the part of the bracket with the two bolts pass through from inside the car?

If someone could take a picture or describe the mounting I could probably find or fabricate the correct mount. This is the last item before putting the drive line back into the vehicle - thanks so much for your help.

I was sent to this set of pictures http://www.squarebirds.org/users/john_orwin/page5/page5.html and it shows the brackets from the manual. I poked around a bit more and found 4 holes at the edge of the tunnel that might fit the cross-member. Is it possible the brackets were only for the 430 engine?

Kevin

Last edited by kevin_tbird : 07-10-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Experienced

tp tbird is on a distinguished road
Default Cross member mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_tbird View Post
This is embarrassing, but I cannot figure out how to mount the transmission cross-member to the body in my 60 with a 352 and cruise-o-matic.

I have the shop manual and diagram 6 on page 6-22 shows a two part bracket that mounts to the underbody on each side. I took this car apart over 10 years ago and cannot find any bracket.

However, even if I had the bracket I do not see any mounting holes at that location. Would the part of the bracket with the two bolts pass through from inside the car?

If someone could take a picture or describe the mounting I could probably find or fabricate the correct mount. This is the last item before putting the drive line back into the vehicle - thanks so much for your help.

I was sent to this set of pictures http://www.squarebirds.org/users/john_orwin/page5/page5.html and it shows the brackets from the manual. I poked around a bit more and found 4 holes at the edge of the tunnel that might fit the cross-member. Is it possible the brackets were only for the 430 engine?

Kevin
4 on each side in the trans hump inside that go threw to the cross member to bolts it up.That picture from john shows them.Tom

Last edited by tp tbird : 07-10-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: wrong amount of boltsper side
Old 07-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Experienced

The holes in my car are in a different location which is why I am asking if a 352 is different for a 430 mount - they were different transmissions. I'm not sure how to post pictures or I would.

Mine looks like the cross-member mounts directly to the floor of the car with four bolts and nuts. No bracket at all.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Experienced

Default cross member

Quote:
The holes in my car are in a different location which is why I am asking if a 352 is different for a 430 mount - they were different transmissions. I'm not sure how to post pictures or I would.

Mine looks like the cross-member mounts directly to the floor of the car with four bolts and nuts. No bracket at all.
I have a 430 and a 352 ,I neaver took the one out from the 352 ,but I think they mount the same.The mounting bolts go threw from the in side and the cross member bolts to the the studs that go thew if I recall when I took the one from the 430 out.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

There are three ways to post pix on this Forum. 1. Become a Paid Member by making a $20 donation through PayPal by clicking on the Donate to Site button on the upper right side of this Forum. That also gives you 20mb of web space on our Forum for you own web page for your car. 2. Go to a free photo hosting website like Photobucket, set up an account, upload your pix to it, and then post the link to those pix here. 3. Send the pix to me and I can post them for you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Experienced

Default Cross member mount

Quote:

If you look at the picture the bigger pieces bolts to the floor next to the hump and the smaller ones goes to the sides of the hump.I think the brackets are for more strength.Pretty sure that is what they look like on 352 and 430's .I have a picture of the underside of my 430 that shows the bolts on the underside if that would help.I can send it to Ray if you want to see it?

Last edited by tp tbird : 07-10-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: add more
Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 AM

Tom ~ tp tbird sent me this pic to post. Hopefully, it will help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 567.jpg (119.9 KB, 81 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 PM

Hi Kevin, Yup! Email me your pix to my email addy below and I will post for you.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 07-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Here are two pix Kevin sent me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trans crossmember.jpg (54.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Trans Mount Floorboard.jpg (75.7 KB, 78 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 07-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Experienced

When looking at the bottom picture the top is along the tunnel and the right is the front of the car. The holes are in the floorboard. I believe the distance between the holes in the cross member is the same as the distance across the tunnel.