This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road
Default photo's as promised and a thermostat question

Here some photo's of what I am doing. Since I brought the car home from this condemned building it is a lot more fun working on it. Doing my best. I know when you see the picture of the engine not everyone might agree on the array of colors, the silver is wheel paint silver, the rest is regular spray paint since I do not have engine enamel. The engine will go in and on a later dat I will take it out again for a proper paint job. Just can't wait any longer for ordered parts and paint. Reason why the blue and other light colors, it is easier to see if any leaks. Maybe the intake manifold silver color is to pretend I have an aluminum modern intake I do not know. But if the car is working ok I will probably repaint the engine in it's original color with engine enamel. I have to find the enamel here because (I believe) it is not allowed to send paint or spray-cans over with the mail or even in your suitcase. The engine has been completely taken apart except removing the crank and can shaft and pistons because I can see they were replaced and new bearings before I bought the engine.

Very happy that I bought the book of Steve Christ on ebay lots of little tricks and what to watch for, so did I found out that one of the valve rocker shafts was installed the wrong way around. I was going to place the complete rocker arm and rockers back on the heads without touching it since they looked ok but after reading the book on page 113 right top picture it says:...don't you.., I decided to pull them apart and I am glad, all the holes were clogged and the shaft was full of debris.
Thermostat, I know, looked at the shop manual and the various threads here, how to place it. But the thermostat would, without the gaskets, slip into the intake manifold. The thermostat is just a bit smaller as the hole in the manifold. Gaskets would prevent that but the gasket are nothing more than a kind of a paper gasket, would that be strong enough from slipping the thermostat into the manifold?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03577.JPG (85.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03578.JPG (80.6 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03580.JPG (61.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03581.JPG (78.6 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03582.JPG (72.2 KB, 162 views)
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 AM
Experienced

Default more photo's

If needed this thread can be moved to 'our rides' or so
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03583.JPG (57.3 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03584.JPG (63.5 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03585.JPG (61.0 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03586.JPG (64.5 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03587.JPG (69.0 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by kuusamon : 06-09-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: add pic's
Old 06-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Experienced

Default and more...

more pics, gearbox etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03589.JPG (60.5 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03590.JPG (60.1 KB, 184 views)
Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Apprentice

REM is on a distinguished road

The proper thermostat is large enough that it will not slip into the manifold even without the gasket.
Later years used a smaller thermostat and that may be what you have.
You have it all looking good.
Glad you are enjoying the process. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Experienced

Thanks Richard,
found these at rockauto:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,2200

and this at ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MILOD...item483d30363f

big difference in price, these should both be the larger diameter correct?
Old 06-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Ron, the Stant or Gates thermostats are both good. Notice they are the same 2-1/2" diameter. Nearly every Ford used the same thermostats for many decades.

Place the 'bulb' or 'spring' end towards the heat source. The thermostat should fit neatly into a 'pocket' and the gasket should not interfere with the 'fit'.

I'm glad you took your rocker arms apart and cleaned all the holes. Most FE owners are un-aware that this is a major concern because they never look under the valve covers while the engine is running.

You guys with hydraulic lifters should open your valve covers and check to make sure you can SEE oil flowing out of your rocker arms. Ford drilled small lubrication holes in each arm. When you shut off your engine and let it cool, dirt in the oil starts packing the holes shut. After many years of heat/cool cycles, there is no flow, then rocker arm shafts develop deep grooves. You may notice lifter noise when wear becomes severe.

Y-Block engines have the same problem, but solid lifter engines are adjusted (and hopefully inspected) every 12,000 miles or so.

This is not a hard or expensive task. For the price of two valve cover gaskets and a few hours (good to do on a rainy Saturday) the end result is very rewarding.

Most of the work is done on the bench, cleaning oil crud off of parts. Mark your parts: The rocker arms should be re-assembled in the same position they were originally, unless they are replaced. As Ron mentioned, the rocker shafts can go on in two directions, but only one is correct for proper oil flow. - Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE_RockerShaft.jpg (82.2 KB, 201 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Experienced

60 T-Bird is on a distinguished road

Very nice job you're doing...Martin
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Experienced

Yes thanks for the thermostat advise, what is reverse poppet or something?
One of the rockershafts does have some grooves, they are visible and can be felt with the nail of a finger. So a spare one is on my shopping list for next year.
Best is, what Steve C. writes is to remove the end caps for cleaning and get new ones but for us here you can not get to the store on the corner to get them so I did my best cleaning with the caps on. Used a single core electrical wire with the plastic outside still on. Bend a small hook or scraper on the end of it and insert the wire through the mounting holes and start scraping the inside. Spray some brake cleaner and wd40 in it and scrape the hole shaft. Then use a compressed air gun to blow it out, I have one with a long small nozzle very powerful. Watch out the sludge comes out every hole and usually end up in you face and hair.
Brake cleaner and wd40 are very good not good for your hands after working with it for a few days. I use lots of hand cream before I start working on the car and after I wash my hands with garage soap, that keeps it from entering my pores for a while.
I use another peace of electr.wire and a breakaway nail type peace from a pop rivit or a thin nail to punch through the oil lube holes from the shaft and also the rockers themselves.
Nearly all the holes in the rockers where clogged.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:36 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuusamon View Post
...Nearly all the holes in the rockers where clogged.
Mine were too. I ended up using a small drill to clean the dirt out and to make sure the holes were all big enough.

I drilled and tapped a hole in one end cap, put a screw in the hole, and used a claw hammer to pull the cap & screw out. Then, I pushed the other cap out using a long rod from the inside. The entire inside was MUCK and sludge (more like black grease). It had to be decades old.

Those solvents are expensive and so is compressed air. A rag and a rod works wonders.

Putting them back in was easy... I just left the screw deep in the hole and replaced the cotter pins.

My rocker arms did not fit directly over the valve stems, so I ground slots in the oil holes underneath with my Dremmel tool. This will allow oil to still flow to the rocker arms even if they don't align perfectly:

Rocker arm shafts are hardened and ground.

Now, I can see oil flowing from each rocker arm. - Dave Dare

EDIT: Reverse poppet thermostat

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 06-10-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

I used a rifle or shotgun cleaning brush, followed by the rag swab. It took several hours to clean them up, as you guys have said they were aweful!

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site