No announcement yet.

No brake or reverse lights?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Dave,
    Quote:"Richard, you show a YELLOW wire AND a GREEN wire on the same terminal on your Key Sw, but no fuse"
    Correct!
    Richard D. Hord

P.S. Quote: "I know this... If I had fuse holders hidden like these, I would extend the wires and put them in a more accessible location. It wouldn't hurt to label them and place them close to each other instead of searching all over the dash whenever a fuse blows. I appreciate your help." - Dave
    I like this! This is why this guy is so awesome!

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

Dave, my 1960 Bird is not torn down. I ran into this problem a couple of months ago.

Please don't make me tear my dash back down...

-Jon in TX.
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Hey Jon,
        Aww come on its fun, NOT!
        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
          Hey Jon,
          Aww come on its fun, NOT!
          Richard D. Hord
          HAHAHA!!!
          Sorry. Usually I take pictures too- This time I did not.

-Jon
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by tbird430
            I promise you my 1960 (as well a few others of us on here) have this "mystery" inline fuse off a solid green wire on the IGNITION switch- not the headlamp switch.
            Alright, who started this mess??? Now you want to back out after I said I'd do all the hard work of changing the diagrams?!?

Find yourself a nice shade tree, undo a few screws and trace two skinny green wires while you take pictures, JON.

C'mon, we're all countin' on you, boy... and don't let a little Texas heat get in your way. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• carnuts
              • May 14 2011

brake lights

Hi Guys,Bob (carnuts)here.I'm having the same problem with my 60.no brakelights.Replaced switch on master,fixed some mice chewed wires but still no lights.I didn't know about the fuse on the key switch I was looking all over for the fuse box but I have power going to the switch on the M/C.So I think I'll check the key switch unless there is something else.It's ready to drive except for the brake lights. Bob

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Robert, I looked all over for the fuse box, too... there is none. There are two fuses on the end of the headlight switch and all the rest are in individual fuseholders (there aren't many).

Get the schematic for your car from our Technical Resource Library and follow the 1960 electrical diagram. Click on the picture to make it large, and print it out.

When you temporarilly connect the two pressure switch wires together, check your inside brake lights. They should be on. Only the outside lights flash for your turn signals.

If the inside brake lights are out, go to the tail light sockets and do two things:
                Check for power on the GREEN wire.
                Make sure the bulbs are properly grounded.
                Last edited by simplyconnected; June 12, 2011, 02:35 AM.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• carnuts
                  • May 14 2011

brake lights

Hi Fellow car people,Again you came through.I now have brake lights and took it for a ride.(how sweet it is)A lot of creeks and groans,but what a awsome ride.I can't begin to thank everyone for your help.THANKS!!!! Now does anyone know where I can get new seat foam and covers for both front and back? The mice really liked them.That what happens when it sits in a garage for 28 years.Thanks again Bob (carnuts)

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Congratulations! Glad to hear that you got it going and had a chance to take her for a ride.

Ca58tbird on the Forum here, is the one to contact. He makes all the foam seat cushions for our Tbirds and our vendors buy from him. He is also the one who restores our steering wheels, like brand new. Here is his contact information. Please contact Jed Zimmerman,Ca58tbird@aol.com, Askhow@aol.com or 612-708-2144

Down in the Advertisements Forum, further down this Forum, is a Contact list for every Tbird parts house I know of. His information is down there also.

As for seat covers, any of our Tbird vendors should be able to help you with that.
                    Last edited by YellowRose; June 12, 2011, 08:44 PM. Reason: Additional information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Robert, I second that... Jed Zimmerman is in Minnesota. He mainly works on marine products but Jed is also a member here and he has a real nice Squarebird. Many of our members purchased his seat foams and ALL are happy.

Here is an example of Jed's work:

- Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 6T TBRD
                        • Feb 9 2014

What a great Thread on dealing with the Brake Light Switch. I’m still running all original (including a functioning vacuum windshield washer fluid and wiper system). I knew the problem with the brake lights had to be either a fuse (simple) a switch (buy a part), connections (lots of testing) or a damaged wire (worst case). I did my due diligence, and then did a Thread search. I followed the comment on “short circuit the switch” and done, problem solved. Thanks to a simple posting in May of 2011. Thanks John Pizzi, I don’t think you really know how much your old posts continue to help a number of us out here. Neil, 6T TBRD
                        sigpic
                        6T TBRD Calgary

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Neil,

Thanks for the compliment. I recommend to anyone who is having an issue that they use the search feature to look at past posts. Most likely someone has had the same problem and it has been resolved in a prior thread.

John
                          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by 6T TBRD
                            ...Thanks John Pizzi, I don’t think you really know how much your old posts continue to help a number of us out here. Neil, 6T TBRD
                            John Pizzi is THE MAN! He's an excellent mechanic, he KNOWS Ford cars and he is an accomplished musician. I'm extremely jealous of his convertible.
                            Squarebirds.org is fortunate to have John. He has helped countless people straighten out so many car problems. I am humbled to work with John as I have learned a lot from him and I hope he sticks around forever. Thanks from me too, John. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                              ... and he is an accomplished musician.
                              Thanks Dave. I'm not sure what I've accomplished but I'll take the compliment nonetheless.

John
                              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
                                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

jopizz is "Da Man"!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎