This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

No, this one runs to the actual IGNITION switch.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird430 View Post
There is also a "mystery" fuse that allows power for the brake lights to even work!!

Try finding the green wire off your IGINITION switch. There is a in-line fuse there that blows sometimes. I promise you it's there and not listed in the service manual...
Jon, the '58 had only one fuse on the headlight switch. Most likely, the in-line fuse holder you refer to is one that feeds the Flasher Unit (orange-yellow wire) coming from the ignition switch. And yes, without flasher power, the directional signal switch would lose a power feed.

The '59 and '60 T-birds have two fuses on the rear of the headlight switch and NO inline fuse holder.

I would like to hear more about that wire dangling with the ring terminal at the end. What color is it, and where does it come from?

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Apprentice

villain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post

I would like to hear more about that wire dangling with the ring terminal at the end. What color is it, and where does it come from?
That's what the guy working on the car said :-) He was gonna trace it down next time he has it.
I'll take a pic for y'all and see if you know what it is.
- 1960 Thunderbird J-code Golde (Registry #1560)
Old 05-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Super-Experienced

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Jon, the '58 had only one fuse on the headlight switch. Most likely, the in-line fuse holder you refer to is one that feeds the Flasher Unit (orange-yellow wire) coming from the ignition switch. And yes, without flasher power, the directional signal switch would lose a power feed.

The '59 and '60 T-birds have two fuses on the rear of the headlight switch and NO inline fuse holder.
I promise you my 1960 (as well a few others of us on here) have this "mystery" inline fuse off a solid green wire on the IGNITION switch- not the headlamp switch.

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Slow Typist

Jon, if you can identify which terminal it goes to and what it feeds, I will include it in our drawings. Then, it won't be a mystery any longer. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Super-Experienced

Arrow

Read this thread from back in 2008. http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...t=brake+lights

Pay attention to posts#3,10,& 20 by "Wildcat15". Post#29 by "FeFranco". Post#67 by "Trimcode76". As well as, post# 70 by "Bcomo".

There are some pics posted at the end of this thread. I can't see them if they are still valid pic links though, because I'm at work & they are blocked.

I think the important think is to check and see if you have power 1st from either lead connecting to the brake switch (on the end of the master cylinder). You have to have power there, or this fuse is blown. Furthermore, the correct fuse is samller than the 14amp some of the guys mention in the old thread. It's more like a 7.5 or 5amp...

-Jon in TX.

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Jon,
Here was my post some time back! My be your problem also! http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...t=brake+lights
Keep us posted!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 05-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Super-Experienced

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. Hord View Post
Hey Jon,
Here was my post some time back! My be your problem also! http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...t=brake+lights
Keep us posted!
Richard D. Hord
No, I don't have any brake light problems. Those two old threads help me fix my brake light problem about a month ago.

I was try to save "villain" some time with his problem.

-Jon in TX.

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Jon,
Brain fart! Hey David
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Slow Typist

Default Calling all 1960 Thunderbird restorers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird430 View Post
...the correct fuse is samller than the 14amp some of the guys mention in the old thread. It's more like a 7.5 or 5amp...
Jon, let me get this straight. From what I gleaned from the other thread, ony 1960 Thunderbirds had this fuse (I can believe 7-amps), and:

1.) "a 14A fuse is shown between the Ignition switch 'BAT' terminal and the stop light switch, the circuit continues to the turn signal switch and onto the brake lights. Although the circuit connects at the turn signal switch, --junction point only-- it doesn't go thru the switch, so a faulty switch shouldn't affect the stop lights."

2.) "the green wire coming off the headlight switch does not go directly to the brake light switch, it goes over to the ignition switch, then from there to the brake light switch WITH AN INLINE FUSE A SHORT DISTANCE FROM THE IGNITION SWTCH."

I will change our drawings to show the fuse but I must be sure of a couple things. It sounds like a wire (of some color I need to know) starts at the (? terminal on the) Headlight Sw and goes to the "B" terminal on the Key Sw.

We already show a YELLOW wire that fits that description. It starts at "B" on the Headlight Sw and ends at "B" on the Key Sw. Is it really GREEN?

On the drawing, it's easy enough to remove the GREEN wire from the "A" terminal on the Headlight Sw to the Stop Sw. Then, add a GREEN wire to the "B" terminal on the Key Sw, add a Fuse and continue with GREEN to the Stop Sw. The problem is, #1 statement says the GREEN wire junctions at the Turn Signal Sw. Is that so? Is there a bullet connector at the bottom of the steering column with three GREEN wires plugged in?

These prints follow a convention: YELLOW wires are hot all the time and they go to a battery source. GREEN may be fused and hot all the time or switched.

The submitted pictures show a black inline fuse with GREEN wires. I don't see any more than that.

Richard, you show a YELLOW wire AND a GREEN wire on the same terminal on your Key Sw, but no fuse:

If I had a '60 Tbird I would dig into it, but I don't. So, I need someone to re-check for correct answers before I draw.

I know this... If I had fuse holders hidden like these, I would extend the wires and put them in a more accessible location. It wouldn't hurt to label them and place them close to eachother instead of searching all over the dash whenever a fuse blows. I appreciate your help. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 05-25-2011 at 09:08 PM.