This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:54 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default RE: TBird Audio Records from 1958 - Want Copies?

yes, I'm quite sure slides accompanied them. Also a Quiz at the end!!
Old 09-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Apprentice

roadpatrol is on a distinguished road

I noticed they mentioned ceramic metallic brake shoes in the first recording, perhaps that is why they say the brakes are better since
that type of material is superior to the organic lining most cars have. Is that type lining offered as a replacement shoe? I remember customers buying asbestos shoes because they were cheaper but they didnt stop as good as the semi-metallic because their cars were not designed for that type of shoe material, I`ve only driven my car about 1 mile so far so I can`t really comment on how good or bad the brakes are but I have heard everyone else talk about it.

Rick
60 Hardtop
Working Clock
Front and Rear
Brakes, more or less
12.6 Volts
Old 09-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

The original brakes on the 1958 Thunderbird had a little ceramic disc on each shoe that was between the regular brake lining. The regular brake lining was split in half midway to accommodate this ceramic insert. The ceramic insert was supposed to prevent brake fade. It was a one year only idea. It probably did not work that well. The front brakes were enlarged for 1959.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 09-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Apprentice

roadpatrol is on a distinguished road

Darn, I thought I was on to something, although I cant help but wonder if a semi-metallic shoe would make the birds stop better.

Rick
60 Hardtop
Front Brakes
12.6 Volts
Old 09-10-2006, 02:02 PM
John

I think there was information somewhere that the total braking area (shoes) of the 1958 was no more than the two seater 57, a substantially lighter car. It simply did not matter to anyone at Ford, sad to say.:(
Old 09-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Webmaster

The engineers designing the new 1958 Thunderbird wanted to give it disc brakes, but Robert McNamara nixed it. He forced the engineers to use the same brakes as the full-sized Ford to cut costs. Due to cost cutting moves like this the Thunderbird actually earned money for Ford instead of losing money like the previous series did.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 09-11-2006, 01:18 AM
John

That would have been something (disks)! I dont think disks appeared on any American car until 1963 (Studebaker Avanti) although they had been on some obscure cars like the Crosley before that.

As a compromise I wonder how much extra it would have cost to have made the drum and shoe another inch wider, substantially increasing the total contact area yet seemingly changing little else?
Old 09-18-2006, 01:11 PM
John

Default RE: TBird Brakes

I found some information on why the brakes are on the small side.

The following web site, on the history of TBird production, includes:

" There were other problems engineering the 1958 Thunderbirds as well, but they seem minimal when compared to what was going on over at Lincoln with their new 1958 platform. At one point late in the design phase, the Thunderbird had to be split down the middle and widened to accommodate tire clearance, and the brakes had to be reduced in size by a full inch from 3.5 to 2.5 inches wide to allow the front wheels to turn properly. This left the Bird with just 175.32 square inches of lining space, which was not enough for the 3,708 pound car. The suspension and the brakes are generally regarded as the weak points in an otherwise excellent package. "

which comes from

http://automotivemileposts.com/prod1958tbird.html#wixom

John

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-21-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Put in the correct link for this statement...
Old 09-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Webmaster

Default RE: TBird Brakes

I have heard about the problems of getting the car to make a reasonable turning radius, but it stems from the fact that the car used suspension parts from the full-sized Ford. If it had the engineers wanted, it would stop and run circles around anything else made at the time.

The Squarebird still has a turning radius of a Boeing 747. :)

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I have transferred the material on the first 4 sides to digital files. The last side was not playable but of the least interest as it is on steering adjustments.

All material is at the following url:

[http://users.wpi.edu/~goulet/TBird/TBirdAudio.html]

where you may either play or download MP3 files. I also have them in WAV format playable on any CD player to mail to anyone interested. I will be catching up on mailing next week.

The material is interesting both from marketing and technical viewpoints, depending on which ones you listen to!

have fun!

John
I know I'm reviving an ancient thread, but I would LOVE to hear those recordings! I tried the URL but it was a dead link. Do you still have a copy in digital format to share?