This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Apprentice

Steffan is on a distinguished road
Default No Electrical

Well after giving up on my windows I decided to find out why some of my dash lights are not working. Pretty easy fix, some of the bulbs had come out of position. Just had to plug them back in.

So I have all my lights working again and I turn the key to start the engine and poof no electrical, I mean everything went out, no power nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the engine won't even crank, the solinoid - no click nothing. I do not get it. What could cause everything to go dead? There is no master fuse.

Anyone have any ideas?

Could this be a dead short shutting down everything?

This has not been a good week for vacation, one step forward two steps back. I was hoping to have this car on the road by June. Oh yeah that is June of 2011 not 2012.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Steffan,
I would first check the battery post and cables and make sure they are clean and tight! Then if that is ok I would make sure you have good battery to body ground and engine to body ground! Keep us posted!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 04-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. Hord View Post
...I would first check the battery post and cables and make sure they are clean and tight!...
That's what it sounds like to me, too.
Steffan, do you have a 12-volt test light? Even a cheap one will work.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Experienced

60 T-Bird is on a distinguished road

Could also be a faulty ignition switch. Happened to me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 05-01-2011, 05:25 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 T-Bird View Post
Could also be a faulty ignition switch...
No, you would still have headlights because power goes to the headlight switch, then to the key switch.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Experienced

60 T-Bird is on a distinguished road

Thank you for straightening that out...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 05-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Apprentice

REM is on a distinguished road

As already mentioned the most likely is the battery or battery connections.
Also be sure to check the pos. battery cable connection at the solenoid as that is very often overlooked and often the the problem.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I would also check the yellow wire where it goes through the firewall on the drivers side. There's a connector there that can go bad or corrode.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Apprentice

Steffan is on a distinguished road
Default No Electrical - Figured it out

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I decided today I would take another look at it. I checked at the solinoid and no juice. I took a jumper wire and went from the positive post of the battery to the solinoid and wow I got power. A few weeks ago I had put one of the quick disconnects on the positive post of the battery for piece of mind when I am not around. As soon as I removed this and hook my positive cable direct to the battery everything worked. As my curiosity got the better of me I re-connected the quick disconnect and hooked the positive cable to it and again everything worked until I turned the key to start the engine and all power was lost. What the heck is going on? There is no type of breaker in this to make it kill power. Everything was tight and the knob was tightened down to give a connection and complete the circuit. This totally baffles me. Has any one have an idea what is going on?

I am short circuited in Canada.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Steffan,
I don't know what kind of disconnect you have! I have one on "Christine" like the one below and have never had a minutes problem out of it! I would say it has got dirty or corroded inside. May need to be cleaned and apply some electrical grease from Lowe's, Home Depot or any home improvement store in the electrical department!
Richard D. Hord
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JKBattDisc_640x480.jpg (123.4 KB, 48 views)
Registry #33436

Last edited by Richard D. Hord : 05-01-2011 at 09:04 PM.