This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Ford Cars share spindles with Thunderbirds.

Yes, Jimz. Post #2 shows the Ford Parts Catalog entry for our spindles. 1954-6 Ford cars used the same part number as 1955-7 Thunderbird. When Ford changed Thunderbird spindles in '58, Ford Cars shared that spindle, too.

I guess I've been lax because now I find many companies have a bracket for our spindles. I asked Mark (owner of Scarebirds) for info on his bracket. Remember, he only sells the bracket and spacer, but gives you part numbers for everything you need at the auto parts store. I like to make my best deal and I don't like shipping costs for iron parts, so this suits me just fine.

From the list below, I picked a random part (RC4233) and checked all applications. That piece was used in Buick Electra, Cadillac Fleetwood, Oldsmobile Cutlass, Pontiac Bonneville, and Chevrolet cars. Millions are out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954-6 Ford parts list.jpg (85.5 KB, 53 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

I measured the rotors and they are 11"
Caliper castings have 2SB5H cast on them
Master Cyl has both outlets toward fender. I think all the parts are from Mustang, but can't verify that.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnston View Post
.The rotors appear to be very close to 11" dia, the nose on the hub is 2 13/32" dia, and the center wheel opening is about
3 5/32" creating a gap between the hub and the center. The wheels are "stud centric" as they do not locate by the center hole onto the hub.
Perhaps something like this "hub-centric" ring would be a consideration.

http://www.prestigewheel.com/Catalog/HubRings66_67.pdf

http://www.justforwheels.com/hub-centric-rings.jsp

How do the Cragars fit? Do they center on the spindle or would the rings work there also?

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimz Bird View Post
...Are the Cragar SSs on your 59 14 or 15 in?...
Whew! Where do I start... My Cragar SS wheels are 15". The centers are huge to accommodate the spinners.

My '55 Customline came with 15" wheels, and Fairlanes came with 16". So, the Cragar's fit both cars the same, even though both cars have disk brakes. The original Customline 15" wheels fit over the Granada calipers, too.

Now about the rings:
"Recent tests by several major wheel manufacturers have shown that when the above mentioned mis-locating occurs the studs actually bend down slightly thus creating an artificial out-of-round condition by as much as .0025"

NONE of our wheels locate on the center hubs at Ford, and they never have (including T-bird wheels). If they did, there would be a real problem getting them off years later (while your lady is on the freeway with a flat). We lug them to the hub's back plane, where cast iron meets the alloy (or steel) wheel. I had one car with wheels so tight, it was impossible to kick them off. That's bad for jack safety and just plain wrong.

Two and a half thousandths??? Rubber tires deviate more than ten thousandths, each one's imbalance throws them off even more, and they come out of the same mold!

Our biggest concern with tires was; when 'lubed', mounted and balanced, for two days, if someone booted the gas, the mag wheel may turn inside the tire beads. Sometimes only one side would turn. That skews the crown and there goes the balance job.

At the assembly plant, as soon as the vehicle is started, they pull off the Final Line fast and immediately hit the brake, to test the seatbelt locks on both shoulder harnesses. Another vehicle rolls off the line each minute, and there isn't much room inside the plant.

People looking on from afar have no idea what's really happening. They think the line workers are just nuts. No, that's their job. Only authorized workers are allowed in the area.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

That's good to hear about the fit with the brakes.

The Cragar site lists several 15" with the Ford bolt pattern.
Rim Widths of 4.5, 6 and 7in. and various offsets.

http://www.cragar.com/ProductView.as...5&bq=%3fc%3d15

Do you have the part # of your wheels or the width and offset?

Thanks for all the info!!

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site