This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:41 PM

tharry8 is on a distinguished road
Question 1964 Thunderbird Transmission Fluid

Folks -Got a lot of great help on my oil pump question.

What type transmission fluid goes in my 1964 Thunderbird? The original was Rotunda R016A (I am going off of memory). I read that and took it to mean Type A fluid.

I have researched on the internet and have seen both references to Type A and Type F. My understanding is that Type A is now Mercon.

I have no idea what fluid is currently in the system. I have read that I do not want to mix the different types.

My first thought is to drop the pan, drain the fluid, install new filter, and replace with Mercon. But if the existing is Type F, then I could have a problem.

Thoughts?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

If you have to change the fluid you have to empty the converter to.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default If the trans ...

hasn't been rebuilt stick with type F. Mike
Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 PM

tharry8 is on a distinguished road

Thanks!

Mike - Why do you say stick with Type F? Wasn't the original Type A?

Tbirds8 - I think draining the converter is good idea since I don't know what fluid the system currently has in it. I have the shop manual and Part 7-1 section 3 discusses converter cleaning, but with the converter removed and on the bench. To remove the converter, Part 7-2 Section 3 says I first need to remove the transmission. Do you know if I can drain it adequately while it is installed, rather than removed?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Type F ...

Do a little research. The internet is your friend (at least that's what I here). Pretty sure type F is right, but hey, I've been wrong before. If your trans has been recently rebuilt you can run Mercon as they use different lining materials and the they haven't been soaking in the same stuff for 47 yrs. Mike
Old 03-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharry8 View Post
...Do you know if I can drain it adequately while it is installed, rather than removed?
Your torque converter has a drain plug in the front. My COM has two (180* apart). Draining it is easy; pull the bell housing pan off & keep bumping the starter until you see the drain plug at the bottom, sticking through a flex plate hole.

If you're still unsure about trans fluid, call a transmission shop. They will know what is compatable with your seals and what type gives the best shifting. After all that time, I would certainly drain the trans and change the filter. Drain the lines going through the radiator, too. I think it's a little better if you do it while the fluid is hot. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Experienced

redstangbob is on a distinguished road

Ford changed their fluid designation sometime after our cars were made, but made type F the backwards compatible fluid. Type F has a little more 'bite', the shifts are a little firmer. If you use Mercon in time you might find slippery shifts on that old box. Drain your converter the way simplyconnected described, if you have a long breaker bar you can turn the crank that way as well. Your dipstick tube is a big flared fitting held on with a nut, taking that out is the easiest way to drain the pan. Be careful on the trans cooler lines, if you hurt them you'll only be able to patch them in place, you'll never get a new set in unless you pull the engine (just trust me on this one) good luck, Bob C
Old 03-17-2012, 08:08 PM

Lazybird is on a distinguished road

Not to hijack this thread. I have a 64 i pulled the pan and only got about 4.5 quarts of fluid. Intent was to change filter and swap out gasket. How much fluid should i need just for pan refill? Could mine have been low? everywhere i look it says 10 quarts just for pan not including converter.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Experienced

redstangbob is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure I used 10 quarts when I overhauled my 65 COM, that included the converter that I had drained. Look it up in your shop manual to be safe.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I'm with redstang... I filled my cruise-o-matic from 'dry', and it took nearly 11 quarts. I couldn't put it all in at once as air had to escape.

When your trans is full, it's nearly full to the top. The bottom pan is just a cover, not like your engine's oil pan. If you pull the driveshaft out, trans fluid will come pouring out. The level needs to be well above that.

I hope yours wasn't run for long on five quarts because the trans makes lots of heat as it transfers power. Trans oil is cooled in the bottom section of your radiator, then returned to the transmission.

While you're under there, check your rear end. Most cars go to their grave with original gear oil. Not mine... Those gears also make lots of heat especially on long trips or while hauling. When it's hot, I change gear lube (90W). If you can, look at your drained gear oil in the sun. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca