This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #31  
Old 07-25-2006, 10:21 PM
JBird JBird is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: May 22 2005
Posts: 432
JBird is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Engine Identification

Info

1958 Merc 430
3-2BC
PB8M9424A
$182.66
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-25-2006, 10:24 PM
frank58 frank58 is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: May 28 2006
Posts: 356
frank58 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Engine Identification

I understand the VIN codes, it's the factory Carter carb and (now) solid lifters that add to the puzzlement.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-25-2006, 10:41 PM
JBird JBird is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: May 22 2005
Posts: 432
JBird is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Engine Identification

>I understand the VIN codes, it's the factory Carter carb and
>(now) solid lifters that add to the puzzlement.

I just checked the cars used in 1958 on all T-Birds and no Carters were used. Not even on the export 332. Here's what the book lists.

1958 THUNDERBIRD CARB ID'S
332 (export) Holly 4V #5750892 or #5750893 PN# B8AZ 9510-T w/Standard-Overdrive.
332 (export) FORD 4V #5751579 PN# B8AZ 9510-W w/Ford-O-Matic.
352 w/Standard-Overdrive FORD 4V #EDT-B or EDT-C PN# B8AZ 9510-E
352 Cruise-O-Matic FORD 4V #5751680 or #57516181 PN# B8AZ 9510-V

NO CARTERS. In short it didn't come from Ford with that carb unless the book(s) I have are wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-25-2006, 11:17 PM
JBird JBird is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: May 22 2005
Posts: 432
JBird is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Engine Identification

>I understand the VIN codes, it's the factory Carter carb and
>(now) solid lifters that add to the puzzlement.

Is it like this one off a 1958 Mercury 383?

http://www.rhyner.com/ebay/58afbcarter1.jpg
http://www.rhyner.com/ebay/58afbcarter2.jpg
http://www.rhyner.com/ebay/58afbcarter3.jpg
http://www.rhyner.com/ebay/58afbcarter4.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-25-2006, 11:30 PM
KULTULZ
 
Posts: n/a
Default EARLY 1958 352

EDC-9603-C on the throttle body base gives this carb away as a 1958 FORD CARTER. The seven character PN gives it away as possibly a very early issue. A FORD CARTER I.D. 1958 photo I have has the regular FORD P&A numbering sequence on it.

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/5..._58A_352_1.jpg

(Stampings hard to identify in photo) B8A 9510 Q

It can either be initial issue or someone may have taken it off a FORD or MERC of the period. This is a very early 352 as evidenced by the heads and the adjustable rocker arms.

One needs the proper MPC to chase it down. HAWKROD has such and hopefully he will come across this thread.

The fuel line does not look exactly correct but I wouldn't change anything until this can be verified by catalog.

You seem to have a very early and desirable BIRD... ;)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 PM
JBird JBird is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: May 22 2005
Posts: 432
JBird is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Engine Identification

http://www.tomco-inc.com/Catalog/carb_oem.pdf

FIAT-FORD
CARTER
5750068
Carb Kit 5036A
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-26-2006, 04:57 AM
KULTULZ
 
Posts: n/a
Default RE: Engine Identification

>I understand the VIN codes, it's the factory Carter carb and
>(now) solid lifters that add to the puzzlement.

Frank,

I explained the solid lifters. The carb may be origional assembly or an exchange somewhere in the car's service life. That is going to be answered in the FORD Master Parts Catalog.

Your car (asm. date 12 MAR 58) may be just at the assembly break where FORD went to the hydraulic engine. To me, I would think it would make the car more valuable.

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-26-2006, 05:18 PM
frank58 frank58 is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: May 28 2006
Posts: 356
frank58 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Engine Identification

>I just checked the cars used in 1958 on all T-Birds and no
>Carters were used. Not even on the export 332. Here's what
>the book lists.
>
>1958 THUNDERBIRD CARB ID'S
>332 (export) Holly 4V #5750892 or #5750893 PN# B8AZ 9510-T
>w/Standard-Overdrive.
>332 (export) FORD 4V #5751579 PN# B8AZ 9510-W
>w/Ford-O-Matic.
>352 w/Standard-Overdrive FORD 4V #EDT-B or EDT-C PN# B8AZ
>9510-E
>352 Cruise-O-Matic FORD 4V #5751680 or #57516181 PN# B8AZ
>9510-V
>
>NO CARTERS. In short it didn't come from Ford with that carb
>unless the book(s) I have are wrong.

Agreed.... everthing I have says exactly the same thing.
The carb I have is identical to the one above in KULTULZ' picture above. Would the Ford Master Parts book should tell me where my carb came from (#5750068)? Were the carbs interchangable (carter and 4100)or is it a manifold change as well? All the linkages and connections certainly seem factory, not "mickey mouse". What other early '58 Fords had a 352 w/solid lifters and a carter AFB?


@KULTULZ
Thanks for all the info, I'm still not sure if I should be excited or saddened by this whole thing.
If the car indeed came with that early '58 solid lifter engine then I would also think it would make it more valuable/interesting.. but if the carb came with that engine then it's not "proper"

Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-26-2006, 05:33 PM
bdrussell bdrussell is offline
Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 30 2006
Posts: 84
bdrussell
Default RE: Engine Identification

So where do I look this info up on my TBird? I could take a photo of the plate tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-26-2006, 07:15 PM
KULTULZ
 
Posts: n/a
Default Don't Get Down

>Agreed.... everthing I have says exactly the same thing.
>The carb I have is identical to the one above in KULTULZ'
>picture above. Would the Ford Master Parts book should tell
>me where my carb came from (#5750068)? Were the carbs
>interchangable (carter and 4100)or is it a manifold change
>as well? All the linkages and connections certainly seem
>factory, not "mickey mouse". What other early '58 Fords had
>a 352 w/solid lifters and a carter AFB?
>
>
>@KULTULZ
>Thanks for all the info, I'm still not sure if I should be
>excited or saddened by this whole thing.
>If the car indeed came with that early '58 solid lifter
>engine then I would also think it would make it more
>valuable/interesting.. but if the carb came with that engine
>then it's not "proper"

Don't get down Frank. The carb. no. should be listed in the MPC. You may (or may not) have a rare bird (pun intended).

The 58 FORD came through with the CARTER and/or the 4100. FORD during this period used all three models (HOLLEY-CARTER-AUTOLITE) as they couldn't keep up with production. The 4100 will bolt directly to your intake but you may need a different fuel line and other small details.

Let's wait for HAWKROD to cruise through. He does have the correct MPC.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 AM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.