This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: One On E-BAY Now...

The valve covers are original Ford chromed. They have never been re-chromed. I have recently learned that these are of early 1960's vintage. There was no chrome package out of the factory. When I bought my 1959 in 1981, since it already had the chrome valve covers, I decided to complete the chrome package as described in the VTCI rules at the time. I bought the chromed air cleaner from Bob's Bird House. The voltage regulator I had re-chromed by Chromemasters in Tallahassee, Florida. I don't think they exist anymore.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 07-16-2006, 01:14 PM
KULTULZ

>The valve covers are original Ford chromed. They have never
>been re-chromed. I have recently learned that these are of
>early 1960's vintage.

>Alexander

Yes, there was an engine dress-up kit available from FORD in 63/64 I believe using these closed older style covers. I thought the dress-up kit included only the THUNDERBIRD covers, but as usual you learn something everyday... ;)

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/5...rmancekits.jpg
Old 07-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Ford did offer the chrome kit (according to W.Wonder's Rest Guide)
Years ago my dad found a set of orig FORD Vlv/covers. On Alexander's recommendation, I bought a chrome air cleaner from Bob's Bird house. I got the 62 style though. I know it's not quite correct, but I like the fwd facing snorkle. I also have a 62 type surge tank (better design).
The air cleaner in those pictures you posted is correct. i kept my orig one. I'm keeping all the parts I remove (Important parts that show.

Alexander, your eng does look great !!!!!!!

John
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 07-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Correction FORD (chrome) valve covers
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 07-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Webmaster

The notion that there was a factory chrome dress-up kit for the engine and and an exterior chrome dress-up kit has been called into dispute in recent years. They not listed in any literature from the period - not in the dealer's books, accessories catalogs, brochures, parts books -nothing.

Apparently what there was were some chrome replacement headlight bezels and windshield wiper bezels, apparently so they would match a car of any color if it need replacement from theft or damage. The engine dress-up kits were offered, but as shown by that advertisement they came a few years after Squarebird production ceased.

The VTCI concours rules are being revised. The chrome dress-up kits apparently will not be considered correct, but since there has been a thirty plus year tradition of considering them correct, my understanding is that there will be no point deduction for them.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 07-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Ok. Now my take on it was the engine parts were offered as "dealer installed" accessories. My dad bought this TBird new from Byers Motor Co in Gilroy,Ca. owned by his uncle's. According to him (and he told me this YEARS ago) they offered him the chrome rocker covers and A/clnr at the same time they offered him the spotlight. He went with only the spot light at that time. I've heard (hundreds of times) how he regretted that . . . Oh and not getting AC. I was around 12 yrs old when he bought the valve covers. We were at a Chevron (Standard Oil at that time I think)in Santa Cruz. One of the guys working there had them. He told us they "came on" his 59 Tbird. He had changed the engine to something newer and had a few spare parts. No air cleaner though.

Maybe the chrome body parts were something similar. Dealers maybe just ordered them on their own. Although, I never saw them on a Sq/Bird until a few yrs ago.

I could ask him again. He's 87 though and in very poor health . . . and memory problems. He lights up though when we talk about the TB.
Don't know if/how much he'd remember.

John
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 07-17-2006, 01:45 PM
KULTULZ

Default Over The Counter Dressup Kit

The above kit was available over the counter in 1964. It has smooth rocker covers and I thought was only seen on 427 factory kits. A factory kit(s) was available showing THUNDERBIRD (390-406-427). It seems from the above FORD covers, there was also a dress-up factory kit for the 352.

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/dressed_E400.jpg

;)
Old 07-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Webmaster

Default RE: Over The Counter Dressup Kit

Wow, that's cool. An Edsel with a chrome dress-up package.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 07-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Over The Counter Dressup Kit

The revision of the VTCI concours rules will include the chrome engine dress up kit and exterior kit as acceptable. What it will say is we have not been able to find any documentation anywhere that these 2 kits were offered by Ford or anyone else. And it will go on to ask anyone with documentaion to please forward info so the rules can be updated. The caveat will be that the entire kit must be present for the engine and exterior to be considered acceptable, ( no modification points if complete) with 2 exceptions. The chrome headlight doors and chrome wiper bezels. Chrome headlight doors are listed in the parts books but the wiper bezels were found in wiper arm boxes carrying a part number not in any of the parts books we have presently.

Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.