This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:24 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Horn repair

I would echo some of what Alexander said... you are not going to find a car that can be guaranteed to be problem free because no one can know what is lurking in them.

The main problem is that they have been around too long and can have hidden secrets. An owner could try their darndest to consider everything but still fail in all likelihood. In his case and mine the oil pickup was a ticking time bomb.

I think you have done all you could and now have to work with what shows up in your driveway.

An old friend advised me "assume nothing, hope for everything". It was accurate about the TBird, among other things.

If you live in a hot area then, to apply this thinking, I would assume nothing about the cooling system. As soon as I could I would flush the system, put in a low thermostat, and take the radiator to a shop and have it cleaned and both flow and pressure tested. I would also buy a 6 blade fan and put it in while the radiator was out. At that point I would know I had configured the best cooling system I could. Anything less than that, I would be trying to get by on luck. An overheated engine is far too serious a matter to hope for luck on.

The rest of the car can be done in a "rolling" fashion...drive it, have fun, check for and work out the bugs.

The cars are old so the technology is simple and lots can be done with very modest knoweledge levels. No computers to contend with, nothing more than a multimeter needed.

Rust is a far more serious issue than mechanical problems. If the frame is rusted out somewhere, this is a disaster compared with re-coring a radiator or other problems. If you find a nearly rust free car, the rest can be overcome! If the price is reasonable, you will not regret it.

Good luck!!

John
58 Hardtop
Old 07-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Experienced

58tdactyl
Default RE: Horn repair

Sorry for your T-bird searching woes.......I myself drove from Va to Penn. to look at mine as it sat in a garage........the same garage it had sat for 20 years. I personally inspected it with my father and struck the deal with a deposit check and a hand-shake. It was all there and ran well. As I disassembled the car the fix various things.....I was in horror as I removed the front wheel wells........part of the subframe was GONE. As stated before....you never know what you are getting with an old car like these even when you yourself inspect it. ........or get someone who knows these cars to tag along. There are certain areas with these cars that "go bad" no matter what. I found in all my years of "bird watching" and looking that these cars come in 2 forms.......pristine , well cared for, garaged gems.........or rolling basket cases waiting to suck the air out your wallet...........with few in betweens. You will be hard pressed to find a daily driver since they chug gas and are not the most nimble cars to drive in todays traffic. Your best bet is to do your homework......and be patient. Its a buyers market now so you may find just what you want sooner than you think.