This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Apprentice

Strange
Default Horn repair

Hello again every one,

It would appear that with lots of diplomacy I might be able to coax someone into selling me their 1960 T-bird. That's the good news. The bad is that the temp guage doesn't work (which I have some very good ideas on how to fix from another thread) and the horn doesn't work. Maybe it is just disconnected, I don't know, but has anyone had to repair their horn before? I didn't see a thread for that one and I did a search under 'horn' just to check. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Regards,
Strange Square
Old 07-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Horn repair

The horn was out on my Bird when I got it.
I simply replaced the horn relay (located on the fender near the horns) and that did the trick!
Also, you might check the horn plate by removing the steering wheel - sometimes it isn't getting good contact there.

If that's all that's wrong with your Bird, consider yourself extremely lucky! My car is great, but it has had its share of gremlin-induced maladies. It's all good now though!

good luck and congrats on finding a squarebird.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:33 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

if the horn contact is poor that Casey referred to, you may find that the horn only blows when pressed on one side (right or left...dont recall which). The steering column can slip a little over time and the little copper contact moves away from the plate.

Good luck with your Squarebird!!

John
Old 07-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Sometimes the steering column slips down. There are two large bolts with Phillips heads under the dash that hold it in place. Loosen, but don't remove them. Push the column up so that the horn ring has contact with the horn button. Re-tighten the bolts.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Apprentice

GWP

well Alexander, that might have been the cause of my horn not working. The spring loading button under the steering wheel that provides the rotating contact with the horn ring assemble and the stationary steering column was NOT making contact. So, there was about 1/8" clearance rather than being the spring being depressed to make contact.

I installed a Nutsert (unused, could use what-ever) over the spring loaded button to fill the gap before re-installing the steering wheel. It sort of stuck on the cap over the spring plunger. The steering wheel then depressed it a little for contact. It worked great.

Now I see that maybe I could have moved the steering column up a little so as to depress the button and make contact with the steering wheel. Live and learn.

"The more you know, the more you know how much you don't know!"
Old 07-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Apprentice

Strange

Thanks everyone. All good suggestions. At this point I feel like I'm ordering from the factory. Scheduled delivery sometime late August. Still it will be worth it. :)

I'll probably check the column first, but I have a feeling it might be the relay. Still, it seems like they aren't that difficult to find. I'll repost when I figure it out.

Cheers,
Strange Square
Old 07-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Experienced

JBird is on a distinguished road

>
>Hello again every one,
>
>It would appear that with lots of diplomacy I might be able
>to coax someone into selling me their 1960 T-bird. That's
>the good news. The bad is that the temp guage doesn't work
>(which I have some very good ideas on how to fix from
>another thread) and the horn doesn't work. Maybe it is just
>disconnected, I don't know, but has anyone had to repair
>their horn before? I didn't see a thread for that one and I
>did a search under 'horn' just to check. Thanks for any and
>all suggestions!
>
>Regards,
>Strange Square

http://www.rhyner.com/59jbird/photos/HornRelay.JPG
If you made sure the horns were grounded and applied battery power to them directly and they didn't sound they are in need of repair.

They are easy to fix. Test them to be sure they don't work. If they do the horn relay may be at fault or the trouble's in the steering column or wiring from there to the horns.

Let us know and I can tell you how to fix the horns yourself. Please don't turn on with the tuning screw if we get that far later on.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Experienced

>Sometimes the steering column slips down. There are two
>large bolts with Phillips heads under the dash that hold it
>in place. Loosen, but don't remove them. Push the column up
>so that the horn ring has contact with the horn button.
>Re-tighten the bolts.
>
>Alexander
>1959 Hardtop
>1960 Golde Top

an easy check at the relay is ground the #14 black wire. If the horn blows the trouble's in the column.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Experienced

>>Sometimes the steering column slips down. There are two
>>large bolts with Phillips heads under the dash that hold it
>>in place. Loosen, but don't remove them. Push the column up
>>so that the horn ring has contact with the horn button.
>>Re-tighten the bolts.
>>
>>Alexander
>>1959 Hardtop
>>1960 Golde Top
>
>an easy check at the relay is ground the #14 black wire. If
>the horn blows the trouble's in the column.

NIX THAT. Can't see. Ground the #18 wire Yellow and Blue tracer.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Experienced

Blue with yellow. darnit I need a better glasses. Anyway it's the wire to the horn button in the column.