This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Apprentice

villain is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a 60

ideally in pretty good, restored shape. wanting it w/ 430ci, hardtop and sunroof (y'all call them golde tops?), black with either the black and white or red interior...but honestly open to options depending on what I can find.

new member btw - had my fun with new sports cars and exotics...now want something older and more 'special'. Have an 85 Audi ur-Quattro as my other ride and a Ducati 1198s to get out any need to go insanely fast :-)

any help, advice or pointers are welcome and appreciated.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

The 430 S/R is, I believe, the rarest 'Bird ever made. It's at least up there. Good luck with your search.

Oh, and their called Golde tops because Golde is the company that made the sunroof components.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
The 430 S/R is, I believe, the rarest 'Bird ever made. It's at least up there.
ha..figures :-) I seem to have that kinda taste I guess...
I know it's all subjective, but what kinda $ range you figure that puts me in for a nice example? also - (also probably an unknown exactly) but how rare does that make it? aka is it outlandish to think I can get one?
I mean, there were only around 74 of those Quattros I have brought into the country and I have an outstanding example of one. but this is a completely unknown territory for me.

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 02:36 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a 60

Hi David! First of all, let me say that parts for the 430CI engine are much harder to find and when you do find them, generally more expensive. On the other hand, parts for the 352CI engine are very common and a lot less expensive. The reason being that the 430CI engine was not produced in the great numbers that the 352CI engine was.

Having said that, you might want to consider a 352CI Golde Top Squarebird instead. The 430 J Code will cost you a lot more money, more than likely, then the 352 version. You asked about pricing. It depends on the quality of the car. You could buy a clunker for much less money, several thousands of dollars to $10K. Then, to bring it up to a daily driver or show quality, you would have to put $20-$30K in additional funds in it to bring it up to par. Unless you can do all your own work... A first class J Code can go for $20K-$35K, depending on the quality of the restoration of the vehicle. A 352CI Golde Top for less, usually. These are just ball park figures that I am giving you, as I have seen these cars being sold for recently.

I did a search for you using Jaxed and searched nationwide for a J Code Squarebird. The only one on the list had already been sold. I have also searched eBay and did not find anything in the way of a J Code Squarebird. Here is the link to Jaxed. You might have to check every day or so to find something, but they are out there, if you are willing to pay the price. I look at it this way, if you are a great mechanic, you might be able to find one that you can restore yourself. Or you can spend the money up front, and buy one that is fully restored and that you can enjoy driving right now. Good luck in your hunt.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cg...mit=++++go++++

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-24-2011, 03:51 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Here are some possible leads...l

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...73bcec2e6e3c54

http://americandreamcars.com/1960tbirdcp080710.htm

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...rd+Thunderbird

http://www.lemonfree.com/47c7a8bb2fe...828da645c.html

http://www.cars-on-line.com/41364.html

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Apprentice

AWESOME!!! Thank you very very much.
I guess my affection for the bigger engine comes from the fact that my last several cars have been good for 500+...so I have an historical desire to go pretty fast...but then again, that's not really what I am buying this car for.
Again, thank you for the advice...honestly the price or maintenance doesn't frighten me much. I can't really wrench on it much myself, but have some good friends that do most of my auto work for me and after being jaded with 5-10k for an exhaust system for several years, I am thinking even the pricier side of this car may still be relatively inexpensive by comparison. If I am in the 18-30k range for a nicely restored car, that should work I think...and honestly it doesn't 'have' to be a j-code. so while I continue my search for a while (the links are much appreciated), if y'all see or hear of one around, please feel free to hit me up and point me at it :-)

BTW - YellowRose - looks like your the admin? under the 'movies' section, you may want to put in "It Might Get Loud" - it was a documentary with 3 guitar players in it (Jimmy Page, Jack White and 'The Edge'), Jack White is driving a 60 squarebird in Tennessee when they are playing a raunchy version of the delta blues 'sitting on top of the world'...being that car was a bit before my time, that was the first time I had actually seen one :-)
Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey David,
I found a white Golde Top Edition with red interior in Oregon $15,000 firm! She looks to be in very good condition. If you are interested http://cars.yakaz.com/1960-thunderbird-for-sale I contacted the seller and she's still for sale!!! Keep us posted!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436

Last edited by Richard D. Hord : 01-24-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. Hord View Post
Hey David,
I found a white Golde Top Edition with red in Oregon $15,000 firm! She looks to be in very good condition. If you are interested I will see if I can get more information from the owner!
Richard D. Hord
The one that was on eBay recently? cause it didnt sell and the owner just pinged me back and said it was going back up for auction. - i think i want it :-) I am trying to find the dead ebay ad right now.
so basically YES - hook a brotha up :-)
Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Apprentice

Found the ad.
What's y'alls opinion on buying one sight unseen? aka - should i get my butt out to Oregon to check it out before plopping down 15k?
Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey David,
Well I bought on off Ebay, sight unseen! She had some issues but I went and picked her up and drove her 400 miles The only problem I had was a power steering hose came loose! The seller did inform me everything she had wrong with her before I went and picked her up. And he was very straight forward with me!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436