This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:59 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

You guys are to funny
If we just leave the bolt-thread thing on the side for the moment, Jed pretty much sum up my problem.
How shall I be able to know, while laying under the car, and letīs say, try a 1/2", and find it to big. There is nothing in the whole world that even gives me a clue in what direction I should go. 1/4 is smaller, thatīs an easy one ( itīs even metric-logic! ). But 3/8, 9/16 or one of the other funny numbers? Nothing tells me if itīs bigger or smaller.
With metric, you might try a 13mm. If you need bigger you look at 14, 15, 16 or if you need smaller, you go 12, 11, 10.
Hellooo!!! Thatīs what I call simple!
Anyway, I bought a new pretty compleate set of tools, booth metric and inch when I builded my garage, so even if iīm still confused, I can manage to find what I need.
But what I canīt do, is measure the 5-lug on my wheels in order to know what itīs called using the "Inch-language".
Anyone? P l e a s e ....
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 12-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 14" Steel Rims dimensions

Anders, if this helps, I have some notes that says our 14"x 6" rims have 0 offset backspacing, bolt circle is 5x4.5", Lug nuts are 1/2-20 and the rear spacing is 3 3/8".

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-31-2010, 08:42 AM

Ray, Dear, dear friend, you makes my life so easy! Thanks a million!
( But I was under the impression we have 14" X 5,5".....)
http://www.tbirdranch.com/5860concours.html

The whole reason Iīm looking for this, is to find the right numbers of everything as I thinking of ordering new wheels from http://wheelvintiques.myshopify.com/...ord-chevy-bare or if anyone have a another suggestion for finding new steel rims, Iīm all for it

Last edited by Anders : 12-31-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 14" Steel Rims dimensions

Anders, you are probably right about them being 14x5.5", and according to the information from John Draxler, you are. I think the measurements I gave you hold true if they are 14x5.5" 14x6" or 14x7", but if I am wrong, someone can correct me. One thing for sure is that these rims were not vented, and they did not have the "nubs" on them to hold my dog dish hubcaps on. That is why I got a set of rims that are vented (for the upcoming disk brake conversion) and have the nubs on them for mounting my dog dishes. And had an offset sufficient to allow me to install disk brakes when I get to it.

I want to say something about John Draxler's website. It is chock full of information about our Tbirds, as you will see from just this one link below. On the left side of his website is a long listing of things you can check out when you are looking for information. Ya'll might want to bookmark this web page. It has the answers to a lot of questions about our Squarebirds in it. Many of which are asked here often. In fact, that discussion regarding master cylinder size (1" or 7/8") is covered here.. Anders, I see you also found this link!

http://www.tbirdranch.com/5860concours.html

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-31-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Anders, I see you also found this link!
Iīll check it all the time
Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

I think they are 14" x 5.5", and I don't think they are 0 offset, I believe they have a positive offset. Zero would mean that the mounting surface is in the center of the wheel width, positive offset means that there is more 'depth' on the inside of the wheel than on the outside.

I've got my originals down in the crawl space. If I think about it, I'll go back and see if I can measure 'em.

You are right that the have a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern. That means 5 lugs on a 4.5" diameter circle.

Oh, and on the inch sizes, I'm not sure if you realize this, but it's just fractions of an inch. So, 1/2" = .50, 1/4" = .25, 3/8" = .375" etc. If you can understand that a half (1/2) is bigger than a forth (1/4) and that three fourths (3/4) is bigger still, that should help you. I'm sure that you can find a fraction to decimal conversion chart that will help you keep it all straight. Edit: Here's one and with metric too. Google "fraction to decimal conversion chart" for others.

And 1" = 25.4mm, so for rough conversions, just think that an inch is about 25mm, 4" is about 100mm, etc. That's not exact, but an approximation.

I work in inches vs. metric all the time at work and I've worked in inches for design work for years so I'm pretty familiar with it.

Last edited by dgs : 01-10-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added link to chart.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Anders, if you are considering new rims, then I would ask what you are running for brakes? Drums or disks?

If you are considering disks at any point, then now is the time to allow for that possibility. There is a long (long) thread on the process (http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ead.php?t=5023)

Personally, if I could go back to the point in time when I first had the car and was rounding up a decent set of wheels, I would make things easy for myself and go with 15's. I could keep the drums or easily go to a wide selection of disks. Once I bought the rims I then got 14" tires which will essentially last forever (I drive the TBird about 2500 miles per year. This is a corner, in retrospect, I wish I had not painted myself into.

john

Last edited by JohnG : 01-10-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
This is a corner, in retrospect, I wish I had not painted myself into.

john
The story of my life in so many ways!!! heheheeh!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...Once I bought the rims I then got 14" tires which will essentially last forever...
True, but you can always sell your stuff and buy what you really want. John, you might take a small hit but the sting doesn't last long, my friend. Get what you need and enjoy cruising in your car.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-11-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
I
Oh, and on the inch sizes, I'm not sure if you realize this, but it's just fractions of an inch. So, 1/2" = .50, 1/4" = .25, 3/8" = .375" etc. If you can understand that a half (1/2) is bigger than a forth (1/4) and that three fourths (3/4) is bigger still, that should help you.
I bit out of topic, but this reminds me about a story when a Boxer, who after a long career, might have been slightly damaged in his head was asked "if you do this match, you will get one third of the incombe" and he replyed with: " If I do it, at least, I want a fourth!

Quote:
Anders, if you are considering new rims, then I would ask what you are running for brakes? Drums or disks?
I donīt concidering discs. I have also a new set of Lancer Custom 14" wheel covers that I love, just like the ones on the pic. Mine is not painted. Yet .... But I will save them a few years until the car is painted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5667.jpg (49.6 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Anders : 01-11-2011 at 01:18 PM.