X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Body Plugs

Has anyone ever identified, categorized, or cataloged all the rubber body plugs? I installed 4 trunk lid plugs and see at least 6 more holes in the lid. I plugged the big trunk hole where the spare sits and wonder what else I can plug. Ha, ha.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Why did you plug the hole in the spare tire well? That's there to allow any water that might get in to drain out. There's a difference between casting holes and drains holes. Drain holes should not be plugged for obvious reasons.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Because it was there? I thought I recall my brother's 1964 had the hole rubber plugged. I could be wrong about that, but to have a hole in the bottom of the trunk floor seems against every integrity issue I know. To have a hole that can let water out if unplugged seems logical. Where is this water coming from that has to be let out immediately?

BYTW, I sealed my rear window where water was coming into the trunk. The "drain hole" never saw any water since the trunk liner material absorbed about a quart.

So you are saying Ford has never officially addressed the plug holes separately?

Dean

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

Interestingly mine has a plug in the spare tire hole too!

Can't say for sure it's always been there but seems to have some of the same tar-like undercoating on the outside area of the plug matching the rest of the spare tire well.

It's not extremely tight - I always figured water could seep out if enough found it's way in there. Better not be any water in my trunk - my clothes would be all wet.

Bet we won't find any dealer brochures etc from '58-'60 showing the trunk without a spare so we can confirm -

I'm missing one of the plugs in the splash shield directly behind the front tire.

Eric

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

[QUOTE Eric said: I'm missing one of the plugs in the splash shield directly behind the front tire.
          ]

Yes, me too and so I stuck a rubber plug there. The undercoating was removed around the hole. I didn't know what the access might for except the electric antenna?

Dean

Comment

• 9310alloy
            Apprentice
            • Jul 2 2016

Plug ...

Are you talking about the plug or hole for access to the hood latch to release / trip if the cable breaks or jambs ..??

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Fortunately those are still there on mine - guess the hood never got stuck (knock on wood) and they haven't needed to be removed.

The one I'm missing is in the wheel well area directly behind the tire. You can just see the bottom edge of the hole in this pic when I was converting to discs (top right between the splash shield for the rotor and the fender).

My guess it was a body assembly / alignment hole. The undercoating is gone around the edge of mine too where the lip of the plug used to be.

Comment

• Deanj
                Super-Experienced
                • Nov 26 2015

It's a little challenge to plug as the opening wasn't flat. I think it's a 1 inch hole, but I can't recall now that it's plugged up.

You would think some concours publication would address what's a drain hole, what's a casting hole, and what should be plugged along with the size. It's not a big deal, but I like addressing these types of issues.

Dean

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

Just double checked - that must be an optical delusion in my pic because there is not a plug on the drivers side (except for the hood release as Mike mentions) - only the passenger side.

Yea - we have that info for the MG's I work on but still find discrepancies now and again.

281-848 GROMMET SET, complete (52 pieces) $52.99

When are you putting together the Tbird info and kit?

Comment

• Deanj
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Nov 26 2015

Eric, 52 pieces? For a while I thought I had a problem. I would assume some of those are firewall grommets. Let's see: wheel opening. Check. 4 trunk lid. Check. Trunk hole at spare. Check? Do the 4 brake adjuster grommets count?

Dean

Comment

• DKheld
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Aug 27 2008

I know - and it's a tiny car.

Probably 45 are in the engine compartment. Mostly filling holes on the pass side of the car that would have been used in the UK for the drivers stuff.

They woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decided to drive on that side - - so the bodies were drilled so that they could be used either way.

Comment

• mh434
                        Comfortably numb
                        • Jan 10 2017

Originally posted by DKheld
                        I know - and it's a tiny car.

Probably 45 are in the engine compartment. Mostly filling holes on the pass side of the car that would have been used in the UK for the drivers stuff.

They woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decided to drive on that side - - so the bodies were drilled so that they could be used either way.
                        Ahem....I think you will find that we drive on the right side, ...by which I mean the left side.....
                        Jon
                        Deepest Hertfordshire
                        Old enough to know I'm right...
                        1960 Hardtop T'bird
                        1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• DKheld
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Aug 27 2008

Darn it - foiled again.

The Model T clinched our driving position so it's Ford's fault.

(all in fun of course)

I can't imagine shifting with my left hand (and you probably can't imagine shifting with your right).

Just wish I didn't have to limit my search for an MGRV8 to a LHD car.

Very interesting how that all came about.....

Comment

• Deanj
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Nov 26 2015

Back to plugs: Is there supposed to be a plug on the door jam under the dog leg that covers a bolt? And another smaller oval plug further down the jam?

Dean

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎