X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Gary Tayman, radio retrofit guru

I'm finally ready. After many months of gathering my radio (and other) parts from the chromer, I'm going to take up Gary Tayman's offer. I'm shipping two radios later today.

From my '59 Galaxie, I have a Motorola 95MF (Town & Country) radio.
    From my '55 Customline, I have a Motorola 5MF-8 radio.

Gary is offering a deal if I send both radios together:

"1955 Ford – $369
    1959 Ford Town & Country -- $419
    If you are outside Florida there is no sales tax. The only other cost would be return shipping.
    If both radios are sent, there is a $20 discount on each."

$748.00 is the total plus shipping to Detroit. These radios will look completely stock but will be modern in every other respect. Stereo, AM, FM, MP3 & CD input, etc.

I'm anxious to see and hear the results as my niece will be married October 16th, in Chicago, and I will drive the new bride & groom in my '59 Galaxie. We will enjoy some tunes!

Other members here are familiar with Gary Tayman's services, and I think we should support our loyal businesses. Here's his link:
    http://www.taymanelectrical.com
    I will keep you posted for the results. - Dave Dare
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

• simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I spoke with Gary today. He said my Town and Country radio for the '59 is shipped! That was quick! He went into detail about the internal mechanics of the 'wonder bar' motor, and how mine was really stuck. He spent two hours on just that motor, working and freeing it, until the motor finally started working by itself. In a few days it should be here via UPS from Florida to Detroit. I can't wait.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hey Dave,
      Did you just get it fixed or have it converted to AM/FM?
      Richard D. Hord

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Richard, Gary is retrofitting both the '55 and the '59 radios to be AM-FM-MP3 stereo. No more tubes (or waiting for warmup time). He integrates all the mechanical functions into the new, so all the pushbuttons and knobs still work the same, so does the wonderbar. It will look just like it did before.

The '59 is a Motorola Town and Country with a wonderbar. It was a premium, stock Ford, radio. I bought it with my 292-engine/COM-transmission deal from a man in Mass. I never actually saw the radio work. Gary said he spent two hours freeing the wonderbar motor, and I believe it. The radio mechanics looked good, but I couldn't try it. I had all the chrome re-plated before I sent it to Gary.

Gary Tayman is really putting a radio inside my radio, so to speak. He gave me a discount for being a 'Squarebirds repeat customer,' and said he does many Thunderbird radios. When all is done, I will write a review with full descriptions, price, service...

So far, I am VERY pleased with the time-frame and price. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hey Dave,
          Sounds great! Keep us informed!
          Richard D. Hord

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

Gary is a great guy. I remember him from years back- like when I bought my '60 Bird. Does he still have his 'pink' '60 Bird?

-Jon in TX.
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by tbird430
              Gary is a great guy. I remember him from years back- like when I bought my '60 Bird. Does he still have his 'pink' '60 Bird?
              -Jon in TX.
              He is down in Sarasota, Florida; I will call him tomorrow, Jon. My '59 Town and Country radio arrived safe and sound, today. It is awsome looking, and the buttons have never been smoother. I can't wait to install it this weekend. I'm anxious to hear my iPod play through it.

As soon as I install, I will write a review covering everything including cost, timeframe, service, etc. I asked Gary to throw all the discarded parts into a bag. Boy, did he! Right down to every screw and bits of wire, tubes, transistors... it was all there. Right now, I'm a happy camper. More later... - Dave
              Last edited by simplyconnected; October 1, 2009, 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hey Dave,
                Pictures! Pictures! We want Pictures also!!!
                Richard D. Hord

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Richard, I plan on installing over the weekend (please, God), but I can show you everything up to now.

Check out my RADIO PICTURES.

I will add more later. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hey Dave,
                    Radio is just awesome, I mean just awesome!!! Engine looks good to!
                    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• tbird430
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 18 2007

Sorry I miss-typed!! Gary had a salmon colored 1964 Bird back in the day. Ask him about that Bird Dave.

-Jon in TX.
                      sigpic
                      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Jon, I just got off the phone with Gary. We spoke at length about the prized Samoan Salmon color you speak of. He said folks were looking all over for patent plates that showed that color as being correct for their Thunderbird.

The real news is, Gary's T-Bird is dark blue! Here is a picture of his car from his site:

Gary still cruises quite frequently in his '64.
                        OMG, it's cold and rainy here in Detroit. Look at those palms in the background. I'm moving south. - Dave
                        Last edited by simplyconnected; February 6, 2011, 03:48 PM.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎