Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robert Wadman
    • Dec 2 2013

430 Motor Mount problems

I'm a new member of Squarebirds. I'm in the process of restoring a 1959 Thunderbird Convertible with two "Js' in the VIN. The previous owner replaced the 430 engine with a 352. I'm attempting to restore my car as close to original as possible. I have a 1962 430 MEL motor. Will this motor fit in my car? I'm having problems figuring out the motor mounts. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Bob
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I believe the 430 motor mounts were welded over the 352 mounts at the factory. You may see evidence that someone burned them off of your #2 crossmember. They are definitely different in bolt pattern and configuration.

I do not know who has crossmember mounts for the 430, maybe some of our vendors who keep a stock of boneyard Squarebirds. Otherwise, you can make them yourself if you can weld and cut steel. With a little paint afterward, nobody will know the difference. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

430 Motor Mount problems

Carl Heller ~ partsetal, on here, has Squarebird parts and parts cars. He might have what you need. Send him a Private Message (PM) or perhaps he will see this and respond. You can find all our Tbird parts vendors in the Advertisements Forum. Contact the Bird House in Delaware, and the Bird Nest in Oregon. They have parts cars also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's a picture of the right side mount. As Dave mentioned you should see evidence that it was removed. This is the thread where I found the picture. There are more.
        The 430 engine was planned for the 1958 Thunderbird, but was only used in the 1959 and 1960 Thunderbirds. This forum is for the discussion of this Mercury - Edsel - Lincoln engine.

John
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jopizz; December 3, 2013, 01:03 PM.
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

I just picked up a Sun Roof that someone had cut away the mounts and installed a 390, so I'll be doing the same install in the Spring. The SR came with a rebuilt 430 and the mounts. I do have an extra set of mounts from a previous parts car plus another set in a car waiting for dismantling. What about transmission mounts?
          Carl

Comment

• Robert Wadman
            • Dec 2 2013

Thanks for 430 motor mount information.

My second question relates to the 1962 lincoln engine. Will it work as a replacement for the original 430?
            Bob

Comment

• Robert Wadman
              • Dec 2 2013

My 1959 Thunderbird 430 motor mounts.

From the picture submitted to my post, I have the correct 430 motor mounts. My problem is the motor mounts on the block of my 1962 Lincoln 430 motor. Is it possible to use a 1962 Lincoln 430 block with 1959 Thunderbird 430 motor mounts. My 1962 Lincoln 430 motor doesn't appear to work. Any ideas or suggestions? Bob

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

430 Motor Mount problems

Dave took the pictures that Jon ~tbird430 had posted and created a web page with them. I just posted that information in the Technical Resource Library for future users to have. You will find it in the Engine and Engine Bay section of the TRL under the 430MEL Engine info. Thanks John, Jon and Dave for bringing it to our attention. The link to the TRL is always right below my signature element. Can anyone answer Roberts question regarding his 1962 430MEL engine? I moved this to the 430MEL Engine Forum since it appears to be the place for it.
                Last edited by YellowRose; December 3, 2013, 10:45 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Robert Wadman
                  From the picture submitted to my post, I have the correct 430 motor mounts. My problem is the motor mounts on the block of my 1962 Lincoln 430 motor. Is it possible to use a 1962 Lincoln 430 block with 1959 Thunderbird 430 motor mounts. My 1962 Lincoln 430 motor doesn't appear to work. Any ideas or suggestions? Bob
                  Yes, the '62 Lincoln 430 block is the same. You will have to use the Thunderbird motor mounts instead of the Lincoln ones.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

My second question relates to the 1962 lincoln engine. Will it work as a replacement for the original 430?
                    Bob
                    I only know of one 430 MEL engine. Whether Lincoln used a different motor mount than Ford, I don't know. The block holes should be the same. I can give you the part number for the Thunderbird 430 mount but not the Lincoln.

Check out the link Yellowrose just posted in the TRL. (or CLICK HERE) I added an illustration that should help you. If picture #5 doesn't appear, hit F5 on your keyboard to refresh the screen. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      I only know of one 430 MEL engine. Whether Lincoln used a different motor mount than Ford, I don't know. The block holes should be the same. I can give you the part number for the Thunderbird 430 mount but not the Lincoln.
                      According to the Rock Auto catalog Lincoln used the same two bolt motor mount from 58-68 as was used on the FE blocks. The Thunderbird 430 mount is N/A in their catalog.

John

Comment

• partsetal
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 4 2005

Kultulz would be able to provide better information, but here is what I can recall: The 430 block came out in 1958 and it only had provisions for the forward mounts which are not listed in any catalog. These are the mounts found on the 59-60 Thunderbird. Sometime in 61 they added the center mount provisions and it is these that are compatible with the FE mounts used on the Squarebirds. As the 430 evolved into the 462 the forward mounts were dropped and only the center ones remained. More details can be found by searching thru: http://ford-mel-engine.com/
                        Carl

Comment

• GTE427
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Oct 9 2007

Picture of a 1960 430 from a thunderbird. Notice TBird style forward motor mount, the block also has provisions for the traditional mounts used on FE's.
                          Attached Files
                          Ken
                          1959 J Convertible
                          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Robert Wadman
                            • Dec 2 2013

J Code Thunderbird Motor Mounts

Dave:
                            The pictures were a great help. I need the top motor mount bracket that attaches to the 430 engine block and the top of the motor mount. I need that bracket for both sides of my 430 MEL engine.
                            Bob

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by partsetal
                              I just picked up a Sun Roof that someone had cut away the mounts and installed a 390, so I'll be doing the same install in the Spring. The SR came with a rebuilt 430 and the mounts. I do have an extra set of mounts from a previous parts car plus another set in a car waiting for dismantling. What about transmission mounts?
                              Carl
                              Dave:
                              The pictures were a great help. I need the top motor mount bracket that attaches to the 430 engine block and the top of the motor mount. I need that bracket for both sides of my 430 MEL engine.
                              Bob
                              You guys need to bump heads. Carl has been a highly valued parts supplier for many years. Many times he comes through, when nobody else can. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎