No announcement yet.

58 Thunderbird Convt.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

58 Thunderbird Convt.

I have recently purchased a really well preserved "older" restoration 1958 Thunderbird convertible. As I look over the specification information I am finding some differences and womder if these are common or the car has been modified. The data plate indicates the trim as XH (black & white) but the entire interior is black and the seats are black leather. Also the trim around the headlights and the hood scoop is chrome and in pictures these always seem to be painted. This car also has a fiberglass assembly to cover the back and convert the 4 seater into a roadster. It also has wire wheels and a continental kit on the rear. The engine is either a 428 or 430 and I have not found the engine data plate to verify which.
    Do you think this was a later modification or possibly a special edition?
    The serial # is HBYJ120958 Body 76A, Color B, Date 13F, Trans Axle 4 1
    Would appreciate any thoughts...........
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: 58 Thunderbird Convt.

Your serial number should read H8YJ120958. The 8 would indicate 1958. No 1958 Thunderbirds were made with leather interiors. Your original interior was a vinyl black and white interior. The seats and door panels would both be in the black and white pattern If you have pictures of the interior, I can tell you which year the interior is from. The 375 horsepower 430 motor was announced for 1958 but was never produced until 1959. All 1958 Thunderbirds had 352 cid engines. The tonneau cover was not produced on Thunderbirds until the Sports Roadster edition of 1962. Aftermarket manufacturers have made them for the Squarebirds. Wire wheels were also not offered until 1962 for the Sports Roadster. The aftermarket now makes these for Squarebirds. A sport wheel carrier (continental kit) was offered from the factory for Squarebirds. It is a rare option, but it also may be aftermarket.

Color code B would indicate the car was originally white.

It still sounds like a nice car. Enjoy it. Some cars are special because they are original. Some are special because they are modified. The important thing is that they are preserved and loved.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
      Experienced
      • Dec 4 2002

I can't answer all of your questions but here are some. You have a 1958 convertible that was originally Winterset White it had a 352 cu in engine and a Cruise O Matic transmission and a 3.10 rear axle ratio, all pretty standard stuff. I beleive you car was produced in June of 1958 there was only 2134 convertibles produced...so you have a rare car. The 430 engine was not available in 1958, 428 cu in engines were not in Birds till the 60's. The chrome on the hood scoop and behind the lights were, I believe were an option. I believe that the interior should be black and white...not all black. The fiberglass panels to go over the rear seats and turn it into a roadster...I don't have a clue. I do know somthing like this was available on early 60's Birds, but I have never heard that they were ever on Squarebirds.

Steve Ronk
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa
      1960 HT 390 cu in, Edelbrock RPM intake, shorty headers, two and one half inch exhaust and 3.70 rear gears...if you are going to go in style you might as well go fast
      390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

The chrome on the scoop, windshield wiper mounts, tail light surround moulding is controversial. There is no listing of any part numbers for this or a mention of this in the brochures or accessory list. There have been chromed headlight doors found in boxes with a special part number. Some Thunderbird clubs have traditionally accepted this as an option as long as you have all the components. Points are taken off if you do not have all the components chromed. No one has ever turned up a factory photo with this chrome trim.

It still looks nice. I have had the pieces chromed on my 1959. You see it very commonly now.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢