No announcement yet.

62 Generator, when it dies should I??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is working fine. But knowing the car has sat for a time and i start driving it now I fully expect the generator to be an issues sooner or later????
    When it goes should I just have it rebuilt or convert to Alternator which seems has no one easy "kit" to do that.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Certainly the easiest way would be to just replace the generator. However your '62 should have the alternator mounting hole already drilled in the block so it's not nearly as difficult as earlier cars. I'd go the alternator route myself.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Two things:
      • Maintenance- Many times the voltage regulator fails but the generator is still ok. Either way, no power. Who actually checks the VERY inexpensive brushes in their generator or starter motor? Instead of 'preventive maintenance', owners wait for catastrophic failure.

• Cost- How much will it cost to replace your generator and/or voltage regulator. Many times, original (rebuilt) generators are not available at any cost. Most rebuilt generators cost over $100 and the voltage regulator, $50.

Even if you are diligent in your maintenance, a generator will never put out more than 30-amps. Nearly all modern alternators include a voltage regulator and they are large enough to power a modern car with an electric cooling fan. They're also cheap because bone yards crush them on a daily basis.

If you really want a new alternator, here's one for a hundred bucks from ROCK AUTO <--this is a link. It is easy to mount and it produces 130-amps, which is perfect for running an electric fan all day long at idle speeds. BTW, it comes 'stock' in a 1992-96 F-150.

Ebay has even cheaper prices. All the plugs are available in auto parts stores and online. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Originally posted by jopizz
        Certainly the easiest way would be to just replace the generator. However your '62 should have the alternator mounting hole already drilled in the block so it's not nearly as difficult as earlier cars. I'd go the alternator route myself.

John
        In relation to the current generator or whatever you would go off of, where is this pre drilled hole?

Comment

Plugs? Have too assume I would be disconnection wiring no longer used with the conversion.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          Two things:
          • Maintenance- Many times the voltage regulator fails but the generator is still ok. Either way, no power. Who actually checks the VERY inexpensive brushes in their generator or starter motor? Instead of 'preventive maintenance', owners wait for catastrophic failure.

• Cost- How much will it cost to replace your generator and/or voltage regulator. Many times, original (rebuilt) generators are not available at any cost. Most rebuilt generators cost over $100 and the voltage regulator, $50.

Even if you are diligent in your maintenance, a generator will never put out more than 30-amps. Nearly all modern alternators include a voltage regulator and they are large enough to power a modern car with an electric cooling fan. They're also cheap because bone yards crush them on a daily basis.

If you really want a new alternator, here's one for a hundred bucks from ROCK AUTO <--this is a link. It is easy to mount and it produces 130-amps, which is perfect for running an electric fan all day long at idle speeds. BTW, it comes 'stock' in a 1992-96 F-150.

Ebay has even cheaper prices. All the plugs are available in auto parts stores and online. - Dave

Comment

would I need to use diff mounting brackets?

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

You are probably going to have to fabricate or find a mounting bracket for an alternator. C.R.A.P. already makes a great mounting bracket for FORD alternators, for about $100. There are two versions of it, one for the block that has not been drilled to attach an alternator to, and for the block that has been drilled. jopizz says your block has already been drilled. Check out C.R.A.P. in the Advertisements Forum, contact him and talk with him about fitting one of his mounting brackets to your Bulletbird, if you don't want to make one yourself, or search of others that might or might not fit. This bracket is made for the 353/390 block, and FORD alternators, is my understanding...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by blue62tbird
                In relation to the current generator or whatever you would go off of, where is this pre drilled hole?
                It's on the front of the block right below the head. You can see it in the picture where the top bolt of the alternator goes.

John
                Attached Files
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

John just gave you an excellent picture of how the C.R.A.P. alternator mount looks like and works. There are a number on here who are using that mounting bracket because it works, and they don't have to fabricate one, like my mechanic did to mount my alternator..

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

is there a write up on how to handle the wiring end of it all?

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Have you looked in the Technical Resource Library???

Comment

The voltage reg appears to be on the front drivers side near the radiator area. I see nothing online like it. It has a few decent sized plugs coming out of it.
                        I am one for trying to stay all orig, I prob will put a new one of those in and maybe a new generator.

Comment

• Deanj
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Nov 26 2015

I recommend converting to an alternator. It charges at idle, and exceeds the generator output 2:1. Use 4 gauge wire for the power wire and ground on the back of the alternator. You'll be able to see your gauges at night when stopped.

Dean

Comment

I have no gauge lights right now as it is. Prev owner paperwork shows that it has been an issue in the past. Everything else works, though gas gauges at times does not.
                            I do see a predrilled holes for an Alt. It has a ground bolted to it.

Comment

Why is there two belts on the Gen? I don't see the purpose.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎