X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

How Well Do You Know Your Cars?

Don't peek and cheat! I will provide the answers later...

Q: Who opened the first drive-in gas station?

Q: What city was the first to use parking meters?

Q: Where was the first drive-in restaurant?

Q: True or False?
    The 1953 Corvette came in white, red and black.

Q: What was Ford's answer to the Chevy Corvette, and other legal street racers of the 1960's?

Q: What was the first car fitted with an alternator, rather than a direct current dynamo?

Q: What was the first car fitted with a replaceable cartridge oil filter?

Q: What was the first car to be offered with a "perpetual guarantee"?

Q: What American luxury automaker began by making cages for birds and squirrels?

Q: What car first referred to itself as a convertible?

Q: What car was the first to have it's radio antenna embedded in the windshield?

Q: What car used the first successful series-production hydraulic valve lifters?

Q: Where was the World's first three-color traffic lights installed?

Q: What type of car had the distinction of being GM's 100 millionth car built in the U.S?

Q: Where was the first drive-in movie theater opened, and when?

Q: What autos were the first to use a standardized production key-start system?

Q: What did the Olds designation 4-4-2 stand for?

Q: What car was the first to place the horn button in the center of the steering wheel?

Q: What U.S. production car had the quickest 0-60 mph time?

Q: What's the only car to appear simultaneously on the covers of Time and Newsweek?

Q: What was the lowest priced mass produced American car?

Q: What is the fastest internal-combustion American production car?

Q: What automaker's first logo incorporated the Star of David?

Q: Who wrote to Henry Ford, "I have drove fords exclusively when I could get away with one. It has got every other car skinned, and even if my business hasn't been strictly legal it don't hurt anything to tell you what a fine car you got in the V-8"?

Q: What car was the first production V12, as well as the first production car with aluminum pistons?

Q: What was the first car to use power operated seats?

Q: Which of the Chrysler "letter cars" sold the fewest amount?

Q: What car company was originally known as Swallow Sidecars (aka SS)?

Q: What car delivered the first production V12 engine?

Q: When were seat belts first fitted to a motor vehicle?

Q: In January 1930, Cadillac debuted it's V16 in a car named for a theatrical version of a 1920's film seen by Harley Earl while designing the body, What's that name?

Q: Which car company started out German, yet became French after WWI?

Q: In what model year did Cadillac introduce the first electric sunroof?

Q: What U.S. production car had the largest 4 cylinder engine?

Q: What car was reportedly designed on the back of a Northwest Airlines airsickness bag and released on April Fool's Day, 1970?

Q: What is the Spirit of Ecstasy?

Q: What was the inspiration for MG's famed octagon-shaped badge?

Q: In what year did the "double-R" Rolls Royce badge change from red to black?
    Last edited by YellowRose; February 3, 2018, 07:01 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

Hi Ray, I'm ready for the answers. At first I thought it was only about American Cars, but I discovered it wasn't. Not an easy Quiz.
    Probably the hardest one that I have come across to date. I did the best I could without looking the answers on the Computer. At a guess I reckon I got about 6-7 right.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

How Well Do You Know Your Cars?

Hi Chris, you are the only one who has expressed any interest in this, so I guess I should not have even bothered posting it. Here are the answers for anyone else who needs them. I see a number of people looked at this, but no one responded but you! Thanks!

Q: Who opened the first drive-in gas station?
      A: Gulf opened up the first station in Pittsburgh in 1913.

Q: What city was the first to use parking meters?
      A: Oklahoma City, on July 16, 1935.

Q: Where was the first drive-in restaurant?
      A: Royce Hailey's Pig Stand opened in Dallas in 1921.

Q: True or False?
      The 1953 Corvette came in white, red and black.
      A: False. The 1953 'Vett's were available in one color, Polo White.

Q: What was Ford's answer to the Chevy Corvette, and other legal street racers of the 1960's?
      A: Carroll Shelby's Mustang GT350.

Q: What was the first car fitted with an alternator, rather than a direct current dynamo?
      A: The 1960 Plymouth Valiant

Q: What was the first car fitted with a replaceable cartridge oil filter?
      A: The 1924 Chrysler.

Q: What was the first car to be offered with a "perpetual guarantee"?
      A: The 1904 Acme, from Reading, PA. Perpetuity was disturbing in this case, as Acme closed down in 1911.

Q: What American luxury automaker began by making cages for birds and squirrels?
      A: The George N. Pierce Co of Buffalo, who made the Pierce Arrow, also made iceboxes.

Q: What car first referred to itself as a convertible?
      A: The 1904 Thomas Flyer, which had a removable hard top.

Q: What car was the first to have it's radio antenna embedded in the windshield?
      A: The 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Q: What car used the first successful series-production hydraulic valve lifters?
      A: The 1930 Cadillac 452, the first production V16

Q: Where was the World's first three-color traffic lights installed?
      A: Detroit, Michigan in 1919. Two years later they experimented with synchronized lights.

Q: What type of car had the distinction of being GM's 100 millionth car built in the U.S?
      A: March 16, 1966 saw an Olds Tornado roll out of Lansing, Michigan with that honor.

Q: Where was the first drive-in movie theater opened, and when?
      A: Camden, NJ in 1933

Q: What autos were the first to use a standardized production key-start system?
      A: The 1949 Chryslers

Q: What did the Olds designation 4-4-2 stand for?
      A: 4 barrel carburetor, 4 speed transmission, and dual exhaust.

Q: What car was the first to place the horn button in the center of the steering wheel?
      A: The 1915 Scripps-Booth Model C. The car also was the first with electric door latches.

Q: What U.S. production car had the quickest 0-60 mph time?
      A: The 1962 Chevrolet Impala SS 409.

Q: What's the only car to appear simultaneously on the covers of Time and Newsweek?
      A: The Mustang

Q: What was the lowest priced mass produced American car?
      A: The 1925 Ford Model T Runabout. Cost $260, $5 less than 1924.

Q: What is the fastest internal-combustion American production car?
      A: The 1998 Dodge Viper GETS-R, tested by Motor Trend magazine at 192.6 mph.

Q: What automaker's first logo incorporated the Star of David?
      A: The Dodge Brothers.

Q: Who wrote to Henry Ford, "I have drove fords exclusively when I could get away with one. It has got every other car skinned, and even if my business hasn't been strictly legal it don't hurt anything to tell you what a fine car you got in the V-8"?
      A: Clyde Barrow (of Bonnie and Clyde) in 1934.

Q: What car was the first production V12, as well as the first production car with aluminum pistons?
      A: The 1915 Packard Twin-Six. Used during WWI in Italy, these motors inspired Enzi Ferrari to adopt the V12 himself in 1948.

Q: What was the first car to use power operated seats?
      A: They were first used on the 1947 Packard line.

Q: Which of the Chrysler "letter cars" sold the fewest amount?
      A: Only 400, 1963, 300J's were sold

Q: What car company was originally known as Swallow Sidecars (aka SS)?
      A: Jaguar, which was an SS model first in 1935, and ultimately the whole company by 1945.

Q: What car delivered the first production V12 engine?
      A: The cylinder wars were kicked off in 1915 after Packard's chief engineer, Col. Jesse Vincent, introduced its Twin-Six.

Q: When were seat belts first fitted to a motor vehicle?
      A: In 1902, in a Baker Electric streamliner racer which crashed at 100 mph. on Staten Island!

Q: In January 1930, Cadillac debuted it's V16 in a car named for a theatrical version of a 1920's film seen by Harley Earl while designing the body, What's that name?
      A: The "Madam X", a custom coach designed by Earl and built by Fleetwood. The sedan featured a retractable landau top above the rear seat.

Q: Which car company started out German, yet became French after WWI?
      A: Bugatti, founded in Molsheim in 1909, became French when Alsace returned to French rule.

Q: In what model year did Cadillac introduce the first electric sunroof?
      A: 1969

Q: What U.S. production car had the largest 4 cylinder engine?
      A: The 1907 Thomas sported a 571 cu. in. (9.2liter) engine.

Q: What car was reportedly designed on the back of a Northwest Airlines airsickness bag and released on April Fool's Day, 1970?
      A: 1970 Gremlin, (AMC)

Q: What is the Spirit of Ecstasy?
      A: The official name of the mascot of Rolls Royce, she is the lady on top of their radiators Also known as "Nellie in her Nighty".

Q: What was the inspiration for MG's famed octagon-shaped badge?
      A: The shape of founder Cecil Kimber's dining table. MG stands for Morris Garages.

Q: In what year did the "double-R" Rolls Royce badge change from red to black?
      A: 1933

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• bird 60
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 18 2009

Thanks for the answers Ray. Like I mentioned not easy. However, I managed to get 8 right.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Ray I was working on your 30+ questions a little at a time each day. Thanks for the answers though, as I was like Chris not getting too many
          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
          Thunderbird Registry
          58HT #33317
          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• newyear
            Experienced
            • Jan 4 2005

I need to go back to school!A production V16 in 1930 with hydraulic lifters is something to marvel at though!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎