Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

I think you're right.... the parts illustrations I have show them being used at least until '66. I know the Baby Birds used the same part.

I was going to replace mine at one point with a mechanical one and figured the easiest thing to do was transplant one from a later TBird but I am not sure if I ever identified what year would do it... I gave up and just bought a box of the switches instead (I use DOT 5 and it kills the membrane flexibility about once ever year or so)
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

my car had some splices wired in so that it would have two backup lights on each side, two brake lights, two blinkers, and of course, two tail lights on each side.

I've maintained those splices since it seemed like someone in this car's past had a good idea in regards to enhanced visibility at night.

I dont see a relay in my trunk, and there are no spliced wires indicating that there ever was one in there.
      Last edited by Dakota Boy; August 2, 2009, 09:47 AM.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Coral
        Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Going to have to apologize Greg, can't seem to get in touch with my uncle.... the answering machine just makes some beeping noises, but won't record...and my aunt isn't picking up on the cell either...when I DO track them down, will let you know....

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

well I thought I could get lucky and see why the power windows are all dead. Should be an easy fix, right? Lately, I could use a "win" with this car....

It turned out the power window relay and 30A breaker isnt on the car amymore. So I'll have to buy one and wire it up. It probably got removed when the previous owner had the car apart for painting and engine installation.

Comment

Ahhhh !!!

Buyer's remorse. Don't worry about it, it will fade. It is a common occurrence when first gazing on a thing of great natural beauty. Part of your brain is effectively disconnected from the the main cumputer. We are instantly in rut, or heat as the case may be. It is something that we inexplicably just "Must Have". Don't panic this is a good thing, you just need to trust your instincts.
            It is delivered to you , or you pick it up on a trailer, or you drive it home, as in my case several cars back and part of the exhaust system falls off on the freeway and there goes that new found glow of a new "Posession". But fear not, the next day or the next week you will come out or down, and look at it and it will slowly, somewhat painfully, come to you, that yes, every older car or truck that you have ever owned has had, or soon would have problems of some form or another. Well, I hate to have to be the one to say it, but in the end you "Love Her". You do what you have to do. You fix what needs to be fixed. You improve on the old, like installing a 70 amp headlight relay so you can run aircraft landing lights for highspeed night driving. Sensible things. Things that spring from the dark backrooms of your mind a place where crooked politicians are prosecuted for thier crimes and justice prevails, and most importantly, most vitally, you get to have a relationship with and drive a wonderfull peace of art that you can make your own. Excuse me while I wipe a tear from my eye, I did'nt mean to go on like a mad, twisted, crazy person. Well, maybe I did. Trust me (hey! why not). In the end (my, thats somewhat dreary) we all "suck it up" and "get er done", and every time you drive her and you get the thumbs up, or some 18 yr old kid walks up and say's "man, that is sweet". Well, your heart swells, and you are overcome by a great sunammi of well being and love for your fellow man. Life is wonderfull if only for a momment (or longer depending on your basic nature). So hang in there my friend, and in the end all will be as it should be to those who persevere. Here's wishing you and your machine a long and happy future. Can i get a halleujah!!! Mike
            Last edited by Guest; August 3, 2009, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Wiring Woes

Mike, I will give ya a hallelujah, an Amen and a Hi-Five on that one!
              Last edited by YellowRose; August 3, 2009, 01:23 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hey Mike,
                I could not have said it any better. Thats the way I feel. (sniff)
                Richard D. Hord

Comment

• JohnG
                  John
                  • Jul 28 2003

Mike, I'm touched . . . wow....

Greg - after a bit you sit back and look at the car and realize...hey, that now runs alot better because of me! And you realize you have succeded in putting some of yourself into it. From there on, one little detail, part, repair at a time, it improves. You don't really notice it because it's such a struggle but one day it is a much better car and that fact is due to you.

An old friend who tended to be philosophical once said "people tend to overestimate themselves in the short run and underestimate themselves in the long run". This is true with car restorations as well.

Keep at it!!

John
                  1958 Hardtop
                  #8452 TBird Registry
                  http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                  history:
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Hey Greg,
                    Remember she is old, she's like a fine women and fine wine, they only get better with age. I will tell you what my granddaddy always tried to get through my thick skull. Son, he would say, if something you are working on is not going right and you get mad walk off and leave it for a while. Things will go better with a fresh mind! He was correct, as I get older I see what he was trying to tell me.
                    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• tarps3
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 21 2003

hey, if it was easy, ANYONE could do it.

The meaningful things are often the most difficult.
                      Casey

Comment

• Coral
                        Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Mike I second that hallelujah!

Brilliant piece of writing there.... !

Comment

• Howard Prout
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by JohnG
                          I think you're right.... the parts illustrations I have show them being used at least until '66. I know the Baby Birds used the same part.

I was going to replace mine at one point with a mechanical one and figured the easiest thing to do was transplant one from a later TBird but I am not sure if I ever identified what year would do it... I gave up and just bought a box of the switches instead (I use DOT 5 and it kills the membrane flexibility about once ever year or so)
                          I think the same brake light switch was used on many vehicles, not just Fords. I always carry a spare as I never know when the switch is going to fail. Most autoparts stores carry them and they are cheap.

As John said, DOT 5 brake fluid does a number on the membranes in these switches. If you have an ammeter or voltmeter installed in your vehicle, you can monitor the status of your brake light system - if it is working properly you can see the effect of the brake lights going on and off by the change in the gauge readings. Otherwise you can test to see if your system is working by simply pressing down on the brake pedal when the engine is not running. If all is well, you can hear the click of the relay in the trunk. If you don't hear the relay click, your brake lights are not working. You probably can't hear the relay working if the engine is running.
                          sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jun 30 2009

a small "win" today: I got the license bulbs to work.

new bulb sockets from the car parts store, and then wire-wheeled the rust/scale off the little glass lense covers.

I also ordered a power window relay from Bird's Nest today. Those guys seem to be pretty darn sharp on these cars.
                            Last edited by Dakota Boy; August 3, 2009, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Coral
                              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Greg, you will simply be doing something forever to this Bird, and you will be rewarded...( I know, cause its happened to me) Pride is something most folks don't have...especially havin hands on Yes, I did it...I'm curious? has any name come forth that you call the car....um....er, that of course can be repeated here ...?

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jun 30 2009

Names? Well, guys at work like to tease and call it "Barney" or they start singing Prince's "Purple Rain" song.

They are all just jealous.

I've got alot of good feedback on the color. My wife says the body style and the color creates a full-scale visual assault. "It's just so wild-looking" she says.

The seller gave me the paint source and code yesterday. It is House of Kolor's "deep lilac pearl over black".

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎