X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peeeot
    Experienced
    • Oct 23 2005

Crankcase Vent and Vacuum Hoses

As I begin to reassemble the engine in the car, there are 2 things I've run into thus far that my manual does not make clear to me:

1. Where does the crankcase vent tube bolt on? When I plug it into the intake, the closest place I see to bolt it in is at the right lower bellhousing-to-block bolt. The manual says to remove the tube before those bolts, though, so it must bolt in somewhere else.

2. How are the vacuum lines routed? I have power brakes and A/C. I've learned that the fuel pump has a vacuum pump built into it. I see one vacuum port on the intake. I know the distributor, wipers, and brake booster all need vacuum. What goes where?

I didn't have the luxury of stripping the engine down (bought the car disassembled) so I never saw these things where they belonged in the first place.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Crankcase Vent and Vacuum Hoses

The crankcase vent tube does bolt on via the transmission bellhousing bolt.

There should be a two-way brass connection that goes into the intake manifold port for the vacuum. The thicker port is for the power brake. A metal line leads to rubber hose connection to the vacuum resevoir in the driver's side fender. from there the vacuum line runs to the vacuum booster in the interior under the dash. The tinner conncection also goes to a metal line that is joined to rubber hose that goes to the in side of the vacuum boooster on the fuel pump. From the out port this gos again into metal line that runs along he passenger side of the intake manifold to a rubber hose that connects to the windshield wiper.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• peeeot
      Experienced
      • Oct 23 2005

Hmmmm... apparently I'm missing all of that. All I have is a single port sticking out of the intake that is designed to accept a rubber hose. Also the vacuum ports on the fuel pump were blocked off. I guess the last person who was working on this was setting up to run it without the power brakes. Or else they were confused.

The way my exhaust is set up (not original), the draft tube exits right on top of the exhaust pipe. Isn't that dangerous? I would think at the very least that it would impede good ventilation. Unfortunately the fitting at the manifold end of the tube has been welded or soldered to the tube such that there isn't and flexibility there. Maybe the thing to do is to switch the whole setup for PCV. Looks like I may have some more shopping to do.

Oh... and where does the vacuum advance line connect?

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

I do not think the draft-tube exiting above the exhaust is very dangerous, unless your piston rings are completely shot. It will not work well, without the opening in the flow of the air underside the car.

The vacuum advance of the distributor connects to the forward part of the right side of the carburetor.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

This is a picture of the intake manifold looking down onit. I know there are lot of tubes and wires. I hope it helps you out.

The "U" loop on the right side of the carburetor is the distributor vacuum line. This piece is available in reproduction.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• peeeot
            Experienced
            • Oct 23 2005

That photo is very useful. Further examination of my car and what's there yields some answers and some more questions.

In the picture, I see that the steel vacuum line for the distributor advance has a threaded fitting both at the carburetor and at the distributor. My distributor advance is designed to accept a hose, not a threaded fitting.

I have also recognized that a T-intersection has been added to the vacuum hose meant to go from the intake to the vac. reservoir. Interestingly, the hose that leads from the reservoir to the K/H booster appears to be the original: it has Kelsey-Hayes written on it. It looks like a previous owner planned to run a single, large vacuum hose from the intake port and then split it off with the plastic T, sending one hose on to the reservoir and the other to the fuel pump booster (by the way, which of the two fuel pump ports is "in"?). A seperate rubber hose would then go from the fuel pump to the wiper motor. An adaptor for a rubber hose would go in the carburetor port, and the other end of the hose would connect to the vac. advance on the distributor.

Replacing all the factory steel lines and fittings with rubber hose would not be original, but since I want to be driving my car and presently have none of the original setup (and very limited funds), that is what I am planning to do. It should still work properly, right?

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

You can buy a brass fitting for the intake port and two way connection at any auto store. The metal lines you can replicate with brake line. It is a minimal expense. I did that way on my 1959 T-Bird.

Alexander
              1959 Hardtop
              1960 Golde Top
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

• peeeot
                Experienced
                • Oct 23 2005

You just clamp the hoses on at the end of the lines then? I didn't know you could buy brake line that is not cut and shaped for a specific application at a parts store.

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

Yes, you can get straight brake line tubing at the auto store that you can bend with inexpensive tube bender. Most of the lines for the Squarebird can be made by cutting on of the connections on the tubing. The end with the connection is connected to the fitting on the manifold and the other end is clamped to rubber tubing.

This another view showing the distributor advance tubing going into the carburetor.

Another thing I did not mention is that most of the Squarebirds I have seen do not have the connection to the vacuum reservoir as diagrammed in the shop manual. There is usually only one line running to the vacuum canister with tee connection between the brake booster and the intake manifold line.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

• peeeot
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 23 2005

hmmm, that's strange. I wonder why they vary from the manual like that. Mine has one hose going in and another coming out. Do the other reservoirs have only one connection, or is the second one plugged off?

I will look into the brake line and fittings next weekend when I get back to work on the car. I'm curious, though: is there any benefit, other than originality, to using the steel lines rather than rubber?

Comment

• Alexander
                      Webmaster
                      • Oct 30 2002

With a long hose over a hot manifold, you have a chance of it warming up and collapsing, especially if there are bends in it. They use the more expensive metal tubing from the factory for a reason.

Alexander
                      1959 Hardtop
                      1960 Golde Top
                      Alexander
                      1959 Hard Top
                      1960 Golde Top
                      sigpic

Comment

• peeeot
                        Experienced
                        • Oct 23 2005

I figured heat had something to do with it, though there have been significant improvements in rubber since '59. My mind turns to the network of rubber under the hoods and on the engines of American cars of the 70s. Still, steel would hold up better.

This is off-topic, but this thread has me thinking about it--I'm missing the exhaust heat riser valve (unless it's among all the parts I haven't sorted through in a while). How much worse is my car going to run without it?

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎