Opinions on 59 or 60 Convertible top mechanisms

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on 59 or 60 Convertible top mechanisms

Hi Guys

As you might know I've been looking for a decent convertible for a while now and I'd like your opinions on the pros and cons of the earlier soft top mechanisms compared to the fully automatic system on the 60 model.

In my opinion simple is always better than complex however if things are still working after 50 plus years it must say something about the engineering involved. I had my last convertible for 12 years and it had a totally manual top which was very rarely up. It was a simple system and nothing ever went wrong with it. This is a new ball game for me.

I've read quite a bit about the two systems but that doesn't tell me much about owner's actual experiences and so I'd appreciate your ideas.

Mark
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've had quite a few of both types and the 58-59 mechanism is my choice by far. In this case simpler is better.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Restifier52
      Experienced
      • Jul 26 2011

Hi Mark. When I decided to get a Squarebird I did not consider a convertible. The complexity of the system was too much for me to imagine dealing with. So sorry I can't give you any input but I just wanted to say hi.

Rick
      1960 HT
      Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• lawyercalif
        Experienced
        • May 12 2011

The 1959 is simpler and easier to maintain. I do not find having to lift the trunk lid to be a problem. However since I live in California I keep the top down most of the time.

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

I had a 60 that was full of surprises and a real pain. I now have an original 60 and the top works flawlessly every time, a true marvel to behold. The 59 is not as entertaining to watch, but it is simple and also reliable.
          Carl

Comment

• dgs
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 13 2003

Personally, I like the wow factor of the '60, but there is a bit less to go wrong. Then again, it's the same technology, just more of it.

I've had a few issues with mine, but none were too hard to fix. Most were due to errors either my own or the mechanic that serviced it when my grandfather owned it.

I've been told that they are quite reliable if exercised regularly, something I hadn't been doing.
            DGS (aka salguod)
            1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
            www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎