Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbirdave
    Apprentice
    • Jun 12 2006

The starter isn't that hard to pull. You will have to turn the wheels to the left to get it past the steering parts. I wouldn't have it re-built. You can get a new one at NAPA. They aren't that expensive. The hard part is putting it back in, there is very little space to turn a wrench. Be careful not to wrench it to hard, you don't want to break a bolt. Been there, done that.
    Tbirdave

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdave
      The starter isn't that hard to pull. You will have to turn the wheels to the left to get it past the steering parts. I wouldn't have it re-built. You can get a new one at NAPA. They aren't that expensive. The hard part is putting it back in, there is very little space to turn a wrench. Be careful not to wrench it to hard, you don't want to break a bolt. Been there, done that.
      Tbirdave
      ?????????????we are talking about the battery..Dave, no the starter but thank you

Comment

Here are some shots of the inside of the battery that all wanted to see on the Maint. Free.

Next step it to put a light on it and see if there is ANY power at all,,,I will keep you all posted
        mark

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Are those red caps that go over several cells at the bottom of those fake cell access holes? If you wanted to add acid or water to that battery, it looks impossible.

Does the bottom come off the battery case? That must be how they placed that battery in there. Then again, how did they make the connections between the terminal on the real battery with the one on the case?

Thanks for the pictures.
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander
            Are those red caps that go over several cells at the bottom of those fake cell access holes? If you wanted to add acid or water to that battery, it looks impossible.

Does the bottom come off the battery case? That must be how they placed that battery in there. Then again, how did they make the connections between the terminal on the real battery with the one on the case?

Thanks for the pictures.
            Real mystery...you can add water or acid to any one of the holes. i don't know how this thing works at all but i did take a light to it last night per instructions from AAB and WOW it lit REAL strong, so this sucker is working i think, they told me to let it evaporate another 2 days and then the next step. Will keep you informed
            mark

Comment

Update

next step was to put on a light and see if there is a charge...
              did it and YES STRONG AS EVER...VERY strong light....
              so will keep you informed
              mark

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                Experienced
                • Mar 31 2004

Battery

I have one of these in my 58. Somehow antique auto battery has managed to figure a way to put the new gell battery inside the old style cases. Most are famaliar with the optima line of batteries that essentially have 6 round cells. These are what they put inside your case. They never need fluid but do need to be kept charged.

The battery caps are dummies that open into the inner part of the outter case. By putting liquid into the case you short circuit the battery. A No No.

Did you not want a maint free battery when you purchased it??
                If not the acid filled ones sell for about $100 less. I had one and it went bad for many reasons.

I have switched all my cars to optima/gel batteries. I got tired of cleaning up the acid splatter ect all the time causing corrosion.

Good Luck
                Fuz
                58's&64's
                Sun Prairie, Wi.
                tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

Battery update

So far it seems to be perfect, very very strong on the meter and now i have to hook it to the car and see what happens, i will let you know
                  mark

Comment

She starts right up!!!

Well strapped her in to the car, hooked her all up and turned the key and BAM!!! she started right up strong as ever!!!
                    let it run for about 15 minutes, off and then on again no problem. However my gas gauge does not work all of a sudden??
                    Well turned off the quick disconnect and put on the trickle charger,, next test a few days from now to see what happens..
                    mark

Comment

She Works

Finally drove it Sunday and PERFECT, started right up and ran like a top...
                      All seems to be good now EXCEPT for the darn gas gauge!!
                      mark

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎