X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Interesting carburetor on eBay

I was cruising on eBay and found this carburetor. It is listed as a 1958-59 Thunderbird carburetor. The seller says that the body is stamped 5752309(which is a 1959 carburetor number), but it is a short fuel snout carburetor, not a long snout. It shows a 1960 fuel filter on it. It also has the six hole choke plate like a 1960 carburetor. In 1960, Ford changed the numbering system on the carburetors and stamped them C0AE-J or K.

Is this a late change on the 1959's?

This a 1959 Thunderbird carburetor that I have that is also stamped 5752309 on the bowl:

I find it hard to believe that despite a major change in design a part would keep the same number.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Strange huh? Being in the parts business, it doesn't surprise me. Over the years I've seen lots of things like that carb. I know I ruffled some feathers with someone on this board awhile back with that statement. GM & Ford both are not perfect. Casting #'s and all that sometimes don't add up. There were mid year changes that were not always documented. Early one (when the car was a year or two old) they replaced the ring and pinion under warranty (due to gear noise) One of the old time Ford guys told me they did a few of them. His brother had a 60 Hardtop. It had axle code 3 (3:10 ratio) It had come off the assm line with 2:91's. Built wrong? Or a mistake on the ID plate? Typically I thought 291's only came in 430 cars. This was a 352?? So yeah . . . They're not perfect.

Comment

I have two 59's one is parts and the other is the one I am working on and each ons has a diffeerent looking carb one carb looks like the one in your picture The other carb has 4 small tube sticking up about 1" from the top of the carb the same hight as the chock plate I am going to try to attach a picture of the one with the tubes

Comment

Carb

I will try to put picture on on of each carb I have con you tell me the difference
        Thanks Bob M
        Last edited by Guest; December 1, 2007, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

The first picture looks like a carburetor made from 1962 onward with the solid choke flap. I cannot see the front to see the accelerator pump and the fuel inlet snout. The fuel inlet became short in 1960. I am not exactly sure when they changed the accelerator pump mount, but that became shorter in the early sixties. What numbers are on the left front fuel bowl or below there on the base of the carburetor? Sometimes these carburetors have bases and tops from different years because of the rebuilders.

This carburetor base was made for the 1965 model year:

The second picture looks like a 1958-1959 carburetor. What is the number on it? The number is on the left side of the front fuel bowl vertically. The number should be 5752308 or 5752309.
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Alexander

I found some more number on the carb that is on the car I am working on and plan to drive I have driven the car and it runs good There is a heastation when you first push on the gas but if you pump it it will go good I have two more picture #1 I have put some red lines to help you know what I am trying to explain. There are no numbers on the front fuel bowl there is a circle on that side with the numbers 1.08 in the center and there is a number on the base plate like you showed in your picture the Letters and Numbers areC4G FAF,also what are the 4 hollow metal tubes sticking on top the carb. On my parts the carb has the number # 5752309 and it does not have these tubes.** Picture # 2 where the red line is there is a Z stamped on the metal.any help will be appericated
            Thanks Bob M
            Last edited by Guest; December 1, 2007, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

The number in the circle refers to the primary venturi size. For the FE engine 352 and up, it should be 1.12. The 5752309 is the correct carburetor for your car.

The 1.08 venturi size 4100 carburetor is very desirable as it is used on small block engines, such as used on Mustangs. I am not sure if you have a Mustang carburetor. That carburetor was made for the 1964 model year (C4) . If it is a correct number for a Mustang it is worth more.

You don't seem to need those upright brass tubes. My 5752309 carburetor did not have them.
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍