X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

Finally getting the interior done on Gold Bird

Well after taking a few months off working on the interior project I am back at it almost finished. The new seat covers are on and look great, just have to dye some interior parts and will be set. My question today is regarding the new carpet. Went to put the last piece on for the drivers side and have a problem. The carpet has a hole where the gas pedal looks like it should go through on, but with the pedal bolted to the floor it does not fit right at the top where to high beam floor switch is. Should I put the carpet down first and then bolt the gas pedal down on top ?
    sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Your new carpet has holes already in it??? Usually, YOU have to put the holes in. Like Ray's carpet, Danny cut a TEE and slipped it over the pedal.

I had to do the same for BOTH holes. Once I found my initial knife hole, it was easier to cut from the back. Use a real sharp utility knife.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Gold Bird
      Experienced
      • Nov 9 2007

Here's a picture, I did cut a hole in the carpet but when you slide the carpet over the pedal it does not line up with the two gromets at the top and the carpet does not lay flat?
      Attached Files

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

Compared to the placement of the pedal coming through my original carpet it appears the pedal hole is too far forward on your new carpet?

If you need to re-cut I guess you could have a new pad sewn in and use carpet tape on the back to hold the carpet together where it was cut?

I know this is not a great pic of mine and the probably Firestone floor mat (but original to the car) blocks most of the rubber pad - it's the only pic I have handy at the moment.

Maybe that helps?

Eric
        Registry 5347

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Bird
          The carpet has a hole where the gas pedal looks like it should go through on, but with the pedal bolted to the floor it does not fit right at the top where to high beam floor switch is. Should I put the carpet down first and then bolt the gas pedal down on top ?
          Tom, I think I recall what I had done when installing my carpet years ago. There was a hole in the carpet for the pedal rod. The pedal is bolted/screwed at the hinge tot he floor. I had unscrewed and removed the pedal and hinge from the floor. Then put the carpet in place inserting the rod thru the carpet hole, layed the carpet out flat and maybe had to enlarge the hole or make a new hole in the carpet to accept the location of the rod. I then re-screwed the pedal and hinge back onto the floor screwing it through the carpet.

In order to avoid fraying of the carpet I used a hot pencil soldering iron to make the holes so the carpet would melt and avoid fraying. Also think I recall installing a brass grommet pressed into the carpet hole so that the rod would slide against the grommet and not wear or further fray the carpet.

Comment

• Gold Bird
            Experienced
            • Nov 9 2007

It looks like I will have to cut back about one inch or so to make it all fit right. Too bad they did not make it right, what's the saying: Measure twice and cut once!!!! LOL... Things are starting to look good though, just have to dye some door panels and arm rest in the back seat to match the new covers.

Comment

• Gold Bird
              Experienced
              • Nov 9 2007

A few more pictures of the new seat covers.
              Attached Files

Comment

Those seats look great. Are we putting them in the 36 ??? Just kiddin...

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Finally getting the interior done on Gold Bird

I see you are getting things worked out. The seats look terrific! Ever thought about chroming the wrap around pieces at the bottom of the seats like I did? I think they look cool, but not if you want to keep it all original. It is to bad Ford did not think of doing that when they created the design!
                  Last edited by YellowRose; April 20, 2010, 09:34 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Gold Bird
                    Experienced
                    • Nov 9 2007

The seats would look good in the 36, too bad they won't fit! LOL.....I did polish my seat belts, that will give me some extra shine.

Comment

• ncbird
                      Experienced
                      • Jan 5 2008

source

Can you tell us the source for the covers and the carpet?
                      Grant
                      NCbird on the Coast of NC
                      "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• Gold Bird
                        Experienced
                        • Nov 9 2007

Both came from T-Bird headquarters in Ca. www.tbirdhq.com

Comment

• DKheld
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Aug 27 2008

My carpet had been replaced - took the rubber floor mat out to get another pic of the carpet for you and remembered Dad and Mom replacing it in the 70's when the gas crunch hit. He tried to trade it but all the dealers wanted him to pay to have it hauled off. Dad just refurbished a few things and kept driving it - he always said that the gas crunch would be over before the gas mileage was made up in the purchase price of a new economy car - good thing he was right. They used generic carpet and Mom's "do everything" Viking sewing machine bound the edges after they cut it out. They may have cut out the original pad and glued it back in. Don't think they replaced the carpet on the tunnel - it looks a little different. Carpeted the trunk at that time too.

Hope you have yours straightened out.
                          Eric
                          registry 5347

Comment

• Gold Bird
                            Experienced
                            • Nov 9 2007

Here is a picture of the driver carpet, I had to cut the vinyl part for the gas pedal to fit right.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• DKheld
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Aug 27 2008

Turned out great if you ask me .....

Eric
                              registry 5347

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢