X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Steering wheel center decorative cover

The steering wheel center decorative cover holding clips are broken. I doubt i´m the only one where this happened, so would like to hear how others solved this, before i start trying to invent the wheel again.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Once I asked about the horn medallion and heard crickets. I have an extra horn cover, medallion, and "clip". I tried putting this together with an old medallion and broke the medallion. The parts store sell these because we want them. We want them, but can't replace them according to the response on our posts. I wouldn't know how to unbend every little tab on the chrome cover.

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you don't get a response to your post it's not because we don't have any answer for you. Sometimes other posts are put on top of yours and it can get lost. If you don't get an answer try replying to it so it will go to the top. As for the medallion I know I've replaced them in the past but it's been quite a few years. If I can find one in the garage I will look at it to see if I remember how it was done.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I looked at the ones I have and it appears that you have to knock at least three of the metal tabs back and then you can pry out the clip and remove the medallion. If there's not enough tab left to bend back over when you put it together I would use epoxy to hold the clip in place. As for what to use if the clips are broken that's another story. Maybe someone has a suggestion.

John

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

I think you're right John. I've been trying to put a new center horn cover together. The medallion lays in and then a rubber washer of sorts is sandwiched between that and the clip. It's the clip that needs a little adjustment to fit in. You probably can JB weld that clip to hold the entire assembly together.

Dean

Comment

• Frango100
            Experienced
            • May 2 2016

Dean, did you buy the clip separately?
            sigpicFrank
            1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
            Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

I got the clip and horn "button" with the car as extra parts. I bought the medallion and will have to find a pad.

I saw a $26 complete horn button on EBay.

Dean

Comment

• Deanj
                Super-Experienced
                • Nov 26 2015

I've put together a "new" 1960 Horn button. I really only wanted to replace my original medallion, but it will not come out of the setting.

I cobbled this one out of a new chrome center, new medallion, and old clip. There's no way to pry the interior metal over the clip, so I used JB Weld to hold this together. It looks great, and looks much better than anything on EBay because it hasn't any exterior rust.

The question is whether it will hold up when tested on the steering wheel center.

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's not really a horn button. It's just there to cover up the wheel center and nut so it shouldn't get any abuse.

John

Comment

• Deanj
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Nov 26 2015

John, you mean any more abuse than removing it with an impact wrench?

I installed the new cover and it slipped on better than the original. Looks great, and it's solid. Recommended fix!

Dean

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎