X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Custom Brake Booster

I've got a pair of Offenhauser valve covers that I've wanted to use on my 390, but my OE booster is about 1/2" too long. Not wanting to cut the cast covers, I'm looking to "shrink" the booster instead. Since the old booster is original, one of the only parts of this car that has not been replaced, it's now time for it to go.

I found a Tuff Stuff 2131 "slim line" that looks like it will fit. No one has dimension drawings for this or can tell me what the bolt pattern is, so I had it delivered to see if I can modify my existing bracket.

The MC looks smaller too, so that should eliminate the interference with my diagonal brace on that side.
    Last edited by Yadkin; September 8, 2015, 10:19 PM.
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

I measured up the parts as best as I could and it all looks like it will fit, so I went ahead and started modifying and fabricating.

Here's the old booster. There is 2-15/16" between the bolt flange and the center of the 3/8" diameter rod end. The aluminum cylinder protrudes exactly 2".
    Attached Files

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

The new cylinder is a larger diameter and some type of plastic. It fits inside the bracket but I had to cut it to length. I used a Dremel cut-off wheel and wore a paint respirator. Whatever that stuff is gives off smelly, irritating fumes. I used tape to make it then cut away.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

After cutting:
        Attached Files

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Next was to cut the threaded rod to the right length. I'm using a spherical rod end to mimic the fitting on the bracket, which fits a 3/8" diameter rod. Measure both the rod and rod end. My rod end is deep to allow for adjustment; I had to cut it down to fit. As long as you have 3/8" depth of threads for a 3/8" rod you have full strength. Measure twice, cut once!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Yadkin; September 11, 2015, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Like I said, measure twice. Here I'm using the cut end of the (male) rod to check the available rod end (female) depth.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

I don't have room for a lock nut so I used a big ol' blob of RED lock-tite. AFTER measuring again, of course...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Inside the cylinder is a two-stage air filter. The soft foam is pictured in the last post. The outer part is a dense felt, which I had to remove and enlarge the center to fit around the rod end. Then I threaded it on one final time over the red lock-tite.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

The rubber bellows didn't fit over the rod end, since this steel insert was inside it. I just removed the insert and stretched the bellows over the rod end.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

The bolt pattern on the new booster is slightly smaller (in both directions) than the OE bracket. To make it fit, I just enlarged the holes. Progress 1/32" at a time to keep the new hole centered at the original location. For this application, a 1/2" final hole size was perfect.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Yadkin; September 9, 2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

Bolted up, everything fits. I have one, maybe two toothpicks clearance.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Yadkin
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11 2012

As my last dual master modification, there is interference with the OE diagonal brace. Last time I modified the cylinder cover, which took a lot of time and looked terrible when I was done. Since I have a parts car available, I went ahead and modified the brace this time instead.

A little cutting, bending, and finally hammering a little bulge to just clear the edge of the cover.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Holy shock towers, Steve... What happened to this one?
                          Attached Files
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11 2012

That's just some red primer under the bracket that I removed for access.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Yadkin
                              That's just some red primer under the bracket that I removed for access.
                              You might consider welding a heavy plate on top, then buy new front shocks. Is the other shock tower the same?

I'm worried about the spring coming through... - Dave
                              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎