X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Thermostat -- Which One?

I'm going to replace the thermostat behind the surge tank.

There is one called a "Fail Safe" made by MotoRad. If the engine overheats, it will lock in the open position. That sounds good, but then you would have to replace it.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations as to what brand or type of thermostat they have used -- bad or good?
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • FeFranco
    Experienced
    • Jan 13 2007

Not familiar with the 'Fail-Safe'. I am using a Stant, 180 degree thermostat. If you enjoy driving it in the heat of the day in Texas, you may opt for the 160. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...pe=133&PTSet=A

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

No, I don't drive it in the heat at all. I'll probably go with a Stant Premium. Thanks for the URL.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

160 is prob better. 20 deg cushion. It's gonna run at a buck eighty five or ninety(or more) sitting still. But the cooler the better. The book calls out for a 160 for all the early Ford's (Pre-emission) Nowadays, they want em running hotter, plus they're leaner running so that adds to the heat.
        I've been obsessed watching the T/Gage. I still want to add real gages, but at least for now I know it's not getting (too) hot. My 87 Monte Carlo has a 195 stat. It hasn't overheated in the 9+ years I've had it (commute every day in it -- short commute now though)

Comment

• bcomo
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 23 2005

I see what you're saying -- it makes sense.

I was able to fix my Surge tank on the car without removing it. So, I don't have to change that thermostat just yet.
          Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎