No announcement yet.

Update up disc brakes up front on the 58

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update up disc brakes up front on the 58

Still don't have a hard price on the kit, but here it is installed on the car. Also shot a couple poor photos of the car.

Works on the factory 58 spindle and hub. Anyone know what other years this would work on?

By the way, the wheel is a late model mustang wheel, 17x8. Haven't really checked to see if it will clear, a friend had a set lying around and let me borrow them.

• Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Update up disc brakes up front on the 58

Nice brakes!

The Squarebirds were originally slated to have disc brakes. The ultimate bean counter, Robert McNamera, nixed them and forced the designers to use the standard Ford brakes even though the Squarebird was heavier. That's why they stop so poorly.

Rack and pinion steering, disc brakes and an aluminum engine were all slated for the 1958 Thunderbird. Imagine what a car that would have been.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Is this a bolt on kit????........and does everything come with it?? I cant wait to do the same for mine.

Comment

• white_fox
        Apprentice
        • Feb 1 2006

Me too!
        Can't wait... I even want that size wheel altho I'm not too keen on the coke bottle shape.
        Sue

Comment

It is a bolt on kit. All you need to do is remove the brake drum from the hub and the backing plate from the spindle. The bracket bolts on in place of the backing plate. You can also use the orginal brake lines on the kit, but it might rub on the shock tower, so I am going to try and find a way to get the lines at a 45 from the caliper.

Note these are 4 piston solid mounted calipers, not floating calipers. They have four blead holes. One per piston.

If anyone wants better photos of the setup, let me know what they want to see. All I have is a cell phone camera, but it didn't do half bad.

I actually kind of agree about the wheel design, but hey I'm not going to complain at this point about 250 for a set of 17x8 wheels and tires.

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

Wow !!!!!!!!! Cool !!! And the calipers are in the right spot.

Now those won't work w/15's will they? If you did want to "conceal" the disc brakes, Mr Gasket makes dust shields that go behind the wheel, even for 22"s. They're smooth and satin black. I have the KH (15") wires and run those shields. You can't see the rotor or caliper thru the spokes. They'll hide those ugly ol drums in the rear too . . . or discs back there . . . Heh heh heh.

Too bad Ford didn't do all those things Alexander mentioned. Typical. It's a shame too, for such a well made car. You can see where they cut the corners. The windshield wiper mechanism comes to mind. It's a good thing the TBirds were made at the Lincoln plant, not the Ford plant. They might have really been the bargain basement car. All the really cool things (well most of em) were Lincoln. The full power top, the bad boy 430, etc . . .

Still, the most stylish Ford ever made. Maybe even the most stylish car ever made. My un-bias pt of view . . .

John

Comment

• KULTULZ

It is a beautiful installation. I will be interested in the kit price as these are premium brakes.

Comment

• KULTULZ

TBIRD OPTIONS

Don't forget the AIR-RIDE Alexander...

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

RE: TBIRD OPTIONS

>Don't forget the AIR-RIDE Alexander...

That's true. They nixed the air-ride for the 1958 Thunderbird at the 11th hour. The car came form the factory with the shocks outside the springs because of the design for the air suspension. Too bad materials were not good enough in that era to make the air ride reliable. I have an all air suspension on my 1998 Mark VIII. Eight years with no problem, knock on wood. If Ford and GM could have implemented that technology in 1958, the Europeans and Japanese would have never caught up.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

>Still don't have a hard price on the kit, but here it is
                    >installed on the car. Also shot a couple poor photos of the
                    >car.
                    >
                    >Works on the factory 58 spindle and hub. Anyone know what
                    >other years this would work on?
                    >
                    >By the way, the wheel is a late model mustang wheel, 17x8.
                    >Haven't really checked to see if it will clear, a friend had
                    >a set lying around and let me borrow them.
                    >

SWEET! That looks really nice!

Here's a kit The Thunderbird Ranch ( http://www.tbirdranch.com/ ) is offering:

You use your stock spindle and suspension. Remove everything except for the spindle and the rest is provided. With this conversion you do not have to disturb any of your suspension or steering. You cannot however use your stock 14" wheels. There are numerous 14" wheels that will work. You will have to look at the offset to determine if they will interfere with the caliper. The rotor is an 11" rotor so that it will provide plenty of braking power for these heavy cars. All components are late model GM parts and are readily available for replacement if you need them.

Above is a picture of what you get. You'll notice there's also an adjustable proportioning valve which you'll need when you have disc in front and drum in the rear.

Below is the parts list:

caliper bracket lh 1
                    caliper bracket rh 1
                    spindle bracket 2
                    bearing spacer 2
                    3/8 x 1.5 gr. 8 HHB 2
                    3/8 x 2 gr 8 HHB 6
                    3/8 Hex nuts 2
                    3/8 lock washer 8
                    1/2 x 3 GR 8 HHB 2
                    1/2 Hex nut 2
                    1/2 lock washer 2
                    Brake Rotor 2
                    grease seal 2
                    inner bearing 2
                    outer bearing 2
                    dust cap 2
                    LH caliper 1
                    RH caliper 1
                    caliper bolt 4
                    brake pads 1
                    brake hose 2
                    banjo bolt 2
                    Adjustable prop. valve 1

Price is $595.00 plus shipping and handling.

Comment

does anyone know what master cylinder will work either of these bolt on kits?

Comment

• white_fox
                        Apprentice
                        • Feb 1 2006

I was also wondering about the master cylinder and what size rotor is this one using? Also, what about the brake light switch?Can I put a tee in the line?
                        Sue

Comment

• byersmtrco
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 28 2004

The M/Cyl that came with my SSBC kit looked late 70's to mid 80's GM to me. It bolted right to a Bendex Pwr Booster. We just had to run a shorter pushrod so the pedal height would be correct. As I've stated in other posts, I had allot of problems due to this kit mounting the calipers forward (interfering with the sway bar links) and having to fabricate a sway bar. It was worth it. This car really stops well. You can be really moving (80 + mph) and bring her right down to a halt. I don't really drive it that fast very often, but I pour on the ol coals once in awhile. I do run it 70-75 on the freeway just riding with the traffic all the time.

I just wish this kit was available when I did mine. I'm sure the Granada setup would also be fine as long as you ran the 11" rotors and good quality brake pads. Machining the Granada spindle for the lwr ball joint is no big deal. Any Mach/shop can do it . . . Cheap.

In answer to your other question, this latest kit does use 11" rotors. Stock Ford 14 x 6 (or 7) inch wheels will clear. Stock 60 whls won't. They're only 5.5" wide. The offset is wrong also.

John Byers

Comment

I saw an article on a Mustang website recently -- the guy put disk brakes all around (all 4 wheels). He used a Master from a late 90s Ford minivan (yeah, that ugly thing Ford made for a few years). Said it was perfect for 4 wheel disk brakes in a Mousetang.

I'll look for the website later, when I have more time.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎