X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

stop light switch

Goodmorning. What is the function of the stop light switch. I have no instructment lights on the dash. No parking lights and no brake lights either. I do have the headlighs hi and low beam. Thanks Larry
  • ozbird
    Apprentice
    • Sep 21 2009

Brakes?

Hi Larry,

can you please rephrase your question, that way you will give us a chance to give you a decent answer? Please don't add another message, add to this thread.

Graeme

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Larry Jones
      Goodmorning. What is the function of the stop light switch. I have no instructment lights on the dash. No parking lights and no brake lights either. I do have the headlighs hi and low beam. Thanks Larry
      The stoplight switch is one thing, the rest are likely unrelated

The function of it is to make your stop lights go, if it is not functioning neither will your stop-lights.

On older cars it is operated by a 'switch' (screwed into a brass block and two wires connected to it) at the front of the brake master-cylinder, they can somtimes fail, Yellowbird on this site has just replaced his for that reason.

Later cars (probably not yours) have a switch operated by the movement of the brake pedal.

In any event you will have to check the switch is getting electricity to it in the first place.

The other problem MAY be linked to your light switch or the wiring connected to it.

You might have to be more specific in your question(s) for us to help.
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Larry Jones
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2009

wiring harness

I short out my fuse too the wiring harness this fuse controls the back parking brakes . I finally disassembledthe inside harness above my emergency brake. Because whenI wiggle the firewall harness the lower plug it sets my horn will sound. Looking at the lower assembly disconnected its very dirty. I sanded the ground connector and shot some electronic cleaner inside the rest of the connectors. I even stick a very fine screwdriver through some of the male connectors also. Just waiting for it to dry up plus used a swamp stick for the female connectors also. I still wnat to drive the convertble through Oct. Iam waiting right now for my wife to come home so she can push on the firewall plug inward while I can reattach back the lower harness. Thanks Scumdog. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2009

Originally posted by ozbird
          Hi Larry,

can you please rephrase your question, that way you will give us a chance to give you a decent answer? Please don't add another message, add to this thread.

Graeme
          Hi to my friend down other. Iam learning now to attach to the same thread. Tic off alot of people on the other web site. Didnt mean to. Iam blowing one fuse and thats the parking and brake light. See when I wiggle the the lower firewall harness it sets my horn off. Well today I was able to disassemble the harness thats the lower harness abobe the emergency brake and noticed that the male and female leads were very dirty. So I sprayed some electronic cleaner through all the plugs and used a swab stick and collected a lot of dirt doing that. I also sanded the grond wires also. Now Iam waiting for my wife to come home to hold in place the lower firewall plug while I snap the inside plug back together again. I really want to drive the car for another month yet I dont no if you no this or not but I purchased a short block from John draxler and it been great so far I have put about 1100 miles on it. It was nice to hear from you again. Larry
          Last edited by YellowRose; September 30, 2010, 02:56 PM. Reason: Changed wording....

Comment

• ozbird
            Apprentice
            • Sep 21 2009

Hi Larry,

good to hear that you have had a good result with the new engine.

With the problem with horn blowing when wiggling wires, sounds more like a short or pinched wire somewhere. It has to be close to the area you are working on, maybe brake arm has worn a wire or two over time?

Graeme
            Last edited by ozbird; September 30, 2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎