Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benfisher
    • Dec 8 2011

carburetor for 430

Anyone have good luck with newer type carb for the 430.
    I have the original carb and am thinking of changing to an Edelbrock carb or ?
  • Restifier52
    Experienced
    • Jul 26 2011

Hi benfisher, welcome to the forum. I don't know for certain but I see no reason a new carb would be a bad idea as long as someone knowledgeable confirmed that it would fit the manifold and help you deal with (perhaps) modifications you would need to make. Have you tried talking to tech support at Edelbrock?
    1960 HT
    Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• KULTULZ

There is a plethora of info regarding the EDELBROCK upgrade onto a 430 @ THE LINCOLN FORUM (if I am allowed to post this info).

The truth of the matter is that the OEM 4V CARTER can be professionally rebuilt and you will have a much nicer performing carburetor.

Comment

• benfisher
        • Dec 8 2011

Thank you, the only reason I am thinking up updating the carb is, in Vancouver Canada we have to put our vehicles through Airecare, as in Califoria I assume. I finally made it through airecare but the mechanic I used told me the carb should either be replaced or rebuilt. Perhaps I should rebuild the existing carb, which is stock.
        Regards: Ben.

Comment

• KULTULZ

It depends mainly on whether you want to retain the OEM appearance. The EDELBOCK, while a copy of the CARTER, does appear slightly different and the fuel inlet line has to be modified (as well as possibly the carb linkage).

Other than that, it is a popular upgrade.

There are several versions of the EDEL so research it thoroughly. Then look for a deal on GOOGLE.

Comment

• Astrowing
            Experienced
            • Jul 22 2009

Wow, are antique cars in Canada and California subject to air quality testing? I thought they were exempt everywhere when older than 25 years in most places, but certainly at 50 even in the difficult places.
            sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• KULTULZ

My opinion is that there should be no gross polluters. The car has to be held to emission standards as to when it was built.

A carbureted engine is a polluter. You can sit at a stop light and usually smell a carbed car nearby (well, at least I can ).

Comment

• tbird430
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 18 2007

I would rebuild the stock Carter.

It is a very good carb from the get go & has to be one of the easiest to rebuild...
                sigpic
                The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 3 2011

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                  You can sit at a stop light and usually smell a carbed car nearby (well, at least I can ).
                  I love the smell of burning rubber and raw gas in the morning. (Almost as good as napalm - to give you an idea where I got that.)
                  Jim
                  Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                  sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Jimz Bird

I love the smell of burning rubber and raw gas in the morning.

(Almost as good as napalm - to give you an idea where I got that.)
                    The aroma of fresh cordite drifting over the valley...

I am not a tree hugger by any means but the engine has to be within spec just for fuel mileage alone. If she smokes and throws raw fuel out of the pipes, then you can't enjoy the ride (IMO).

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 3 2011

yea, I guess burning rubber and raw gas is better
                      Jim
                      Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                      sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎