X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoobyroo
    • Oct 1 2012

New member, might be in over my head

Link to rest of photos http://imgur.com/a/8jh2t#0

Hello all, I picked this up a few months ago as a "winter" project having finally moved into a new house with some decent garage space. Well the house ended up eating up most of my time and the cold kept me in for the rest I'm 23 and have never worked on or owned a car of this period, I've tinkered on some domestics with my father in the past and had a 1970 Cadillac Eldorado for a time as well as a few C/K pickups but for the most part my experience is with my Subaru Impreza. I came across a few grainy cell phone pictures of the car in a brief Craigslist ad one late night and found the car's bodylines and shape to be awesome, Ive seen earlier Thunderbirds and many later but never a bulletbird on the road before. To make a long story short I thought about it for a weekend then went out to look over the car that Monday, I've never owned a ford yet of any flavor and really didnt have a great idea of what to look for, let alone without my father there to keep me in reality as far as body or running condition was. I ran a magnet over the car the best I could feeling for bondo, there is some around the rear quarters but I cant say I have a feel yet at all for how the magnet should tug, the rust colored stuff in the trunk and floorpans is some sort of old red oxide primer thats flaking off. The owner had bought it the year before but ended up just storing it in a large garage until he had a falling out with it's owner, supposedly it was in storage for quite awhile before that as well and ended up with frozen rings and low compression on 6 or 7 cylinders but would turn over "somewhat slowly then the starter died" vaguely as he put it. I ended up talking him down to $1100 but I still worry Ive ended up with a bigger project than I imagined, since things have been warming up I finally decided to bust the ice out from around the garage and detomb the tbird, pulled the plugs and filled the cylinders with marvel as well as some down the intake. Its been sitting about 2 days now and I really don't know what to expect or look for now, I figured I should try and turn it over with a breaker bar since Ive yet to hook a battery up to the thing since I haven't looked up under the dash to see how the wiring is and with my luck it would catch on fire. Sorry for the long post and huge picture

Edit 2- The first sparkplug photo is from the passenger side with the plugs in order to the clyinders, front of car on the right, the 2nd photo being the driver's side and the front on the left.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; March 25, 2013, 12:44 AM. Reason: Downsized Pix To 800x600. Keep Pix To This Size Or Smaller
  • KULTULZ

Not related to the OP, but...

Is the paint color of the 1961 390 air cleaner asm/rocker covers shown (in OP gallery) correct?

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎