X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Freeze Plugs

What do I need to apply to my new brass freeze plugs before I install them into my engine block? Maybe Blue Permatex, nothing? I know years ago my father used "shellac", but that stuff isn't available anymore to my knowledge...
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
  • Petrolhead
    Experienced
    • Jul 2 2007

Permatex or any good RTV sealant can't hurt - I wiped a thin layer around the edge of my frost plugs before driving them in, no leaks, but hard to say if the RTV made a difference. Better to be safe than sorry though.

Comment

• Hawkrod
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by tbird430
      What do I need to apply to my new brass freeze plugs before I install them into my engine block? Maybe Blue Permatex, nothing? I know years ago my father used "shellac", but that stuff isn't available anymore to my knowledge...
      Shelac is by far the best thing to use and silicon could easily be the worst (it can act as a lubricant and help the plug slide out under pressure). Indian Head Gasket Shelac is available almost anywhere and probably the same stuff your father used. It beats most other Permatex products (yes it is a Permatex product) in my opinion and I use it for most gaskets as I prefer a dry clean engine! Hawkrod

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎