X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yellowbird
    Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

'58 Dash Pad Replacement

Due to numerous mistakes made by the previous owner of my '58 Thunderbird, I'm having to replace the dashpad and other items. I've looked over the information in the TRL and also serched the forums for dashpad replacement information.

Some people say to remove the metal dash and others say to leave it in. Which way, based on y'alls knowledge, is the best way to to this job?

The metal dash on the left side is up tight against the side. I was putting on the driver side windlace last night and had to use a prybar so I could get it in between the dash and the side. Not sure if that would make a difference on which way to go.

I just do not want to ruin a new dashpad!

Thanks for the assistance!

Leonard
    sigpic
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

On the '58 and early '59 dashes you have to remove the metal to do it right. The dash pad has to be cut and folded under and glued to the metal supports and then bolted to the metal from behind. Only on the mid-late '59's and 60's can you install the pad with the metal in place. The tutorial in the Technical Resource Library for doing this style dash is spot on. You definitely need a steady hand and perfect planning to get it right and not ruin your new pad.

John
    Last edited by jopizz; May 7, 2013, 02:35 PM.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

I have a '58 dash frame in my car, and I would say it would be very very hard to do the job correctly without removing the dash and finishing the job on your living room floor.

Well maybe not in the living room.... but that's where I did it. The wife threw a few strange looks at me, but she got over it.

The late 59 and 60 dashes are probably easier to deal with, since that is the what the repro. dash pads are modeled after. Quite a bit of the dash pad will be cut away when you do the job on a '58.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Yellowbird
        Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Thanks for the replies. Dakota Boy, I love the living room idea. But after just dropping a fair amount of change on a new wood living room floor I think I'm relegated to the garage or driveway!

I agree with you and John after looking, my best option is to remove the dash. My replacement is from Dashes Direct. John you commented about folding cutting and using adhesive. Looking at the TRL i did not see anything about folding or adhesive. I had a friend over tonight looking at this and he suggest the same. Is there a problem if you fold parts of the pad it becomes to thick? Do you have an adhesive you would recommend?

I appreciate the help!
        Thanks.
        Leonard
        sigpic

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You should be looking at Alexander Sosiak's dash pad replacement tutorial. Step 30 shows how to fold over the pad onto the metal backing strips and glue it in place after cutting it and removing the padding. I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive as it suggests. I also replied to your PM.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
            ...Well maybe not in the living room.... but that's where I did it. The wife threw a few strange looks at me, but she got over it.
            I want Robin to take notes from your wife, Greg! She tolerates my newly chromed '55 bumpers under our bed but ONLY because they're nicely wrapped in brown paper.
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

At any places where the vinyl has to be wrapped and folded and glued; the foam on the back side must be carefully scraped away from the vinyl outer covering. If you dont do that, it'll never work.

Comment

• Yellowbird
                Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Got dashpad on and glued except for the sides at the bottom. I've trimmed the pad back on the sides by the dog leg by the door. Any suggestion on how to do the final trim in that area? Upon installation the pad wants to gather up at the bottom.

Also the dash frame came out with no problems. Trying to reinstall with the pad on, I can get only on side to algin up with the screw holes. It's amost like it's catching on something in the middle and it pivots from side to side. I'm unable to see anything that would be causing the problem.

Does anybody have any ideas?
                Thanks
                sigpic

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'58 Dash Pad Replacement

Hi Leonard, I don't know if it will help, but if you have not done so, take a look at Alexander's instructions in the TRL on replacing the dash pad. There might be some information there that can help you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 30 2009

Please post up some pictures so we can see what you are dealing with.

Remember that there is a that piece at the steering column that has to be lined up as well. Maybe this is where you are getting stuck at. I seem to recall having the same issue there.

If you go to the "Our Rides" tab; look for a thread titled "My '58", and then start at page 11. I have some photos of my dash project there.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dakota Boy; May 26, 2013, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Yellowbird
                      Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

I'll try to post some pictures later today. I'll have to learn how to do that. I looked at your pictures and you had the same situation I'm in.

Everything is glued down except for the sides. When trying to fit the dash in the vinyl gathers at the bottom on the sides. It would appear that the vinyl just needs to be wrapped around the dash at that point and glued down.

Going to get back after it in a little while.
                      Thanks
                      sigpic

Comment

• Yellowbird
                        Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Well finally got back on track. Here are some pictures of the dashpad replacement on the frame.

You see the pad extending past the metal frame on the drivers side. Should this material be folded over the frame and glued to it or left loose?

Thanks.

Leonard
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You can fold it over and glue it or just use some tape to hold it in place. It will be hidden by the lower dash panel.

John

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎