Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjacobs
    • Mar 19 2008

Motor Question

I just purchased a 1959 Bird and the owner put in a new engine in 1980. A Ford V8 6.4 390 CID. The motor hs 5000 miles on it but has not been started since 1981. I am looking for suggestions on what to do before actually starting the motor.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Motor Question

Good Morning, Tommy and welcome to Squarebirds! After a few more people wake up, you should get an answer to your question. You can also use the Search option to see what people have said in the past regarding the proper way to prep an engine before starting it after such a long time of it being idle. Or any other subject you have questions about.

I hope you have many years of enjoyment with your Bird, and also here. Some of the greatest minds regarding the care and feeding of our Birds are on here.

Ray

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

Welcome to Squarebirds.

I don't have any words of wisdom for you on this. You're not in a unique situation, so by tonight you should have some responses from some folks who have been through this.

Hang in there for a short while.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

When I bought my 60HT with a 352 V8 it had no gas tank.I brought it home checked the oil,poured some gas into a jug,ran a hose to the fuel pump and fired it up.It ran pretty well.And after a good tune up it runs great.
        I am not saying that is what you should do,but I can't think of anything you can do to the motor besides start it up and see what happens.
        My car had sat for 10 yrs before I bought it.
        You may want to wait and see if more brilliant minds have an opinion.
        Also welcome to the site,it's a great place for Squareheads.

Comment

• Petrolhead
          Experienced
          • Jul 2 2007

I'd be inclined to remove the plugs one at a time so keep the HT leads in the right order, squirt a small amount of engine oil down each bore, then refit each plug and lead.

Then, pull the coil lead out of the distributor so the engine won't fire up, and crank the engine off and on for a minute or so. This will ensure that the engine rotates freely and there are no obvious problems. It will also allow the engine to build oil pressure before firing it into life.

Refit the coil lead and attempt to strat it. It'll blow a bit of smoke and idle roughly for a while, but should quickly even out.

Just a suggestion, hope all goes well.

Comment

Welcome to the site. My situation was alittle differant but the same. The motor was stuck would not turn. Pulled the plugs and put a shot of pb blaster in there. Then trans fluid. Let it sit a couple days and she broke loose by hand of course. Then the lawnmower gas tank hanging of the hood and she fired right up. The smoke was great. Couldn't see for while but well worth it. Car runs like new. O it sat since 1977 Ya I'd do it again

Comment

I agree with earlier post. Drain the old oil. squirt some oil in each cylinder via the plugs and crank away for a while. I'd leave the plugs out so you can add more if you wish. Then put 'em back in and fire it up. Check your oil pressure gauge. If you don't have one on the car, install one. Remember, the car may smoke for a while since the cylinders are covered in oil so don't freak- LEON

Comment

• RustyNCa
                Super-Experienced
                • May 31 2007

Originally posted by tjacobs
                I just purchased a 1959 Bird and the owner put in a new engine in 1980. A Ford V8 6.4 390 CID. The motor hs 5000 miles on it but has not been started since 1981. I am looking for suggestions on what to do before actually starting the motor.
                Oh, one note, only since I did this with a 352 that had sat for 8 years, ran great for about 5 months till a piece of the unbrella seal broke off, got sucked into the oil pump, siezed the pump and snapped the shaft in two places... I'm pretty sure if I had know about and replaced those seals, the 352 would still be running like a champ. When I checked them, all the seals were very brittle and flaking little bits off into the motor. The 390 I bought had the same issue. Replacing the seals ended up being a pretty basic job.

So just pop off the valve covers and check them real quick....

Comment

I had the same with my 59 I change the oil and filter reomved the plugs with my oil can I put two squirts of light weight oil in each cylinder removed the coil wire then cranked the motor over a few times then started it much smoke for a while but ran great. One other suggestion when you first crank it with plugs out lay old towel over each vaule cover so that the towel lay over the spark plug holes because when I crank the engine over I sprayed oil allover the fender wells
                  Good Luck
                  Bob M

Comment

• 6TB1RD
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 9 2006

My Way

Good Morning and Welcome to our Haven!

Yes you could do all of the above and all good Idea's. So by all means be carefully. with anything you do you don't want to hurt your Bird.

Me well I knew I was going to have to rebuild the 352 in my '60 after all she sat for more then 15 years in a barn before I got her, so I just changed the oil and started her right up. She ran a little ruff at first, and then smoothed right out smoke coming out her pipe's well lets just say no Mosquito's for about 2 weeks .

all was well until the great umbrella seals well lets just say they were not there when I took the valve covers off after the emergency shut down by pulling the coil wire. (BTW if no one is going to be in the car or close to the switch tie a string to the coil wire don't reach in and grab it you will feel a slight twinge in your elbow, but the feeling in you hand comes back after a day or two )

The B1rd is on the road now with a new heart and running great.

be sure you come here often there is a lot of great minds here to help you in any way we can, you have found a great bunch of unique people that all share the same passion of there Cars. there will be some little jokes about our selfs but no one here will lead you astray or give you any bad info.

they will always be someone here that has had the same issue you are having at one time or another.

Good luck and have fun with you new project.
                    George (Papa of 9)
                    1960 H/T :rolleyes:
                    Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
                    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
                    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 23 2005

One thing that I'd like to add to what George said --

The most dangerous object under that hood is that Fan.

I had my thumb cut to the bone. So, be careful where you rest your hand.
                      Bart
                      1960 Hard Top/430
                      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• frank58
                        Super-Experienced
                        • May 28 2006

Originally posted by RustyNCa
                        Oh, one note, only since I did this with a 352 that had sat for 8 years, ran great for about 5 months till a piece of the unbrella seal broke off, got sucked into the oil pump, siezed the pump and snapped the shaft in two places... I'm pretty sure if I had know about and replaced those seals, the 352 would still be running like a champ. When I checked them, all the seals were very brittle and flaking little bits off into the motor. The 390 I bought had the same issue. Replacing the seals ended up being a pretty basic job.

So just pop off the valve covers and check them real quick....
                        This is solid information... it's very simple to take off the valve covers and have a look before you start. If it has sat that long there will be some nasty crud sitting in there.. scrape\clean it out now before you start pushing it through the engine. Keep us posted, and welcome aboard.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎